ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Filling gearbox

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hi, im leaking abit of gearbox oil so wanna check the level and refill, I can see where I need to fill it but it looks like a total arse to get to, can someone advise the best way to do it?

Cheers

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL. Pretty much.

Airbox out. It's a plastic wingnut down the front of the box.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Attach a length of garden hose to a funnel.
Normal hose pipe wedges into the front of the gearbox perfectly.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Checked it today and the level isn't actually low at all, its just under the thread where it should be, must be leaking a very small amount even though my plastic drip tray was fairly wet!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As long as it's on the level it's no need to worry.

Most people tend to overfill them a little, so that's probably helped you out.

As for how to fill it up, go on halfords website and type funnel, there's an orange one that is 100% perfect for the job, and it only costs a fiver.

172DD Cup
yeah i spent five minutes trying to fashion something to fill mine through that tiny hole on top, before realising i could whack a hosepipe into the butterfly hole.

so what does that little hole on top do then?

SQ5
I've got a proper hose for doing it Dan if you need to use it. It came off of a fridge or something I think but has a small plastic hose bit on the end of a normal hose that fits in perfectly ;)

inferno 182cup
unipart do 1 ltr style hand pump bottle with a tube and pipe on end, spot on for things like this ......cheep too

ph1 172, berlingo
Small orange funnel and a length of 10mm copper bent on a 90 degree bend fits loverly, no spills or removal

Checked it today and the level isn't actually low at all, its just under the thread where it should be, must be leaking a very small amount even though my plastic drip tray was fairly wet!

Depends when the undertray was wiped clean last.
As some garages just remove the cap to get to the sump plaug instead of removing the whole tray.
Then the oil runs into the tray and is never wiped.
The same goes for the oil filter if there aint enough rags been stuffed under it to catch any oil.
I think some linkages weep oil and that can build over time