ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fireworks.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
As the season of the youth blowing up phone boxes ans such is almost upon us has anyone got any tips they can give such as ISO, Shutter speed, Apeture and other general info for capturing fireworks?

And any examples would be cool

Cheers!

SchwepTek™
Took these on one second exposure using IS and no tripod!

n286602988_2467689_641.jpg

n286602988_2467690_2408.jpg

n286602988_2467691_3840.jpg

n286602988_2467692_5143.jpg

Only a first attempt in my mates back garden but i thought they turned out ok. Much better with a tripod though.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'd do whatever Billy did tbh, his came out really well.

Here's one I took last year,

DSCF1121.gif

Shutter priority, 4sec (bit too long at that level of zoom I think)
ISO 64
Aperture f/3.5
Handheld

Artic Blue 182 FF
Here is some i took last year, i was about a mile or so from the actual display, and got stuck behind loads of bushes :dapprove:

bf1copy.gif

bf3.gif

There are so many variables it's hard to give a definitive answer, but if you get the basics right you will normally get some pretty good shots. This is what I do:

- Lowest ISO setting (noise is bad)
- Shutter Priority
- Manual Focus
- Tripod / solid platform for camera
- Some way to trigger shutter without movement (I use a remote)

I focus manually on the rough area where the fireworks are going to be, the easy option is to pick something on the ground roughly the same distance away, then re-compose your camera to where the fireworks are going to be. The length you keep the shutter open depends on the size and frequency of the fireworks, but for reasonable displays between 5-10 seconds seems to work well for me. For this display, I checked the first shot to make sure it was in focus, then just played with the shutter speeds after each shot for different effects. I wanted a couple of explosions in each shot, not a really long exposure with loads layered, and it seemed to work well.

135mm, 5 seconds (display was about a mile away)
217857696_7Cm4h-L.jpg

I read a book that suggested using f11-f16 to make sure you have a good range covered in terms of focus, which makes sense, but that also requires a lengthy shutter speed (potentially 30s or more). But I actually got better results shooting wide open (f2.8) and keeping the shutter speeds below 10s. As always though it's what works for you and what you want out of it.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
i shot these in france last year,think mine were shot at f4 for 1/4 second, all hand held as i didnt have a tripod

1-5.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-3.jpg

5-3.jpg

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Some excellent shots here, I'm looking forward to giving it a go now! Only a few weeks to wait.

Some excellent shots here, I'm looking forward to giving it a go now! Only a few weeks to wait.

Any specific displays you are heading to? We go to the one at the Bath Rec every year, it's absolutely stunning but I've never taken my camera, enjoy it too much.

B

Brown.

one thing to remeber when using any thing over 1sec exposure and tripod, TURN OFF IMAGESTABALIZER...... or you will get wiggly lines

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Any specific displays you are heading to? We go to the one at the Bath Rec every year, it's absolutely stunning but I've never taken my camera, enjoy it too much.

Haven't really thought about it yet, there is one about 200 metres down the road from me I was going to try but thats normally a few days after.

I was going to look for some around the suspension bridge area and see if I can get that in shot somehow, so up the downs way maybe but the trees will make it difficult I expect.