ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

first attempt at light painting.

182 Cup
Recently bought a new camera and have seen pics done like this on here so thought i'd give it a whirl, bear in mind its my first try and experimenting and yes i know the car is dirty!! Oh and i'm not sure how to put the pics on here so they're big, if anyone wants to have a go/let me know how that'd be great.
Cheers Si 417341_2516259146112_1242223934_32052745_689588125_n.jpg407177_2516264426244_1242223934_32052750_158406586_n.jpg401121_2516268666350_1242223934_32052755_1529222108_n.jpg418728_2516270626399_1242223934_32052757_472927315_n.jpg407424_2516271746427_1242223934_32052758_1326428687_n.jpg

182 Cup
Done it with a bicycle light, tried to make it look like flames but didn't really work, needs more experimenting, a clean car n maybe a decent location in the back ground, tried putting them on via Facebook and that's the size they came up, might have to create a Flickr account and try that.

182 Cup
Yeah ever since I saw the guys pics on here, taken in a cool graffiti'd tunnel, I've wanted to try it but only recently got a good enough camera, really need to clean the car and have a proper stab at it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Shifty - I think you need to be a bit more obvious with your tops of the flames, there's too much of a curve if you see what I mean. Also, you've hosted those pics on CS. When you add an image from FB/Flickr etc, untick the stupid box that makes it an attachment and it'll be full size in line, not those poxy attachments which I hate so much !.

Chappers - You need a camera that will allow the shutter to be open for more than a second ;)

Shifty - I think you need to be a bit more obvious with your tops of the flames, there's too much of a curve if you see what I mean. Also, you've hosted those pics on CS. When you add an image from FB/Flickr etc, untick the stupid box that makes it an attachment and it'll be full size in line, not those poxy attachments which I hate so much !.

Chappers - You need a camera that will allow the shutter to be open for more than a second ;)

Ohh I have no clue on cameras, I am useless with a digital ive just learnt the macro thingy feature ^_^

Nick

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Well use it and learn something FFS :rasp:

I got my first SLR and had literally zero idea what anything did.

Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I think I dun alright learnin myself how to use it ;)

182 Cup
I have a lumix g2 so not a high end camera but not too shabby either, will try and do better flames at some point, was just experimenting with these shots really, all i did to take them was set shutter speed to 60 secs and shine a torch over the car and then used a rear bike light to quickly do the flames, could probably have spent less time painting the car and more time trying to do the flames as i rushed them towards the end of the exposure.
Cheers for all the good comments and feedback tho guys, much appreciated.
Si

Megane 225 F1
Nicely done for a first attempt. I keep meaning to go out and do this with my pov spec bridge camera.

182 Cup
Do it, although you might wanna wait for warmer weather, i tried to have another go yesterday but took one pic and got back in the car!!

182 Cup
Cheers, it wasn't 'till i took the pics that i realised how dirty the car was which is slightly annoying but for my first attempt I'm pretty chuffed at the results.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well use it and learn something FFS :rasp:

I got my first SLR and had literally zero idea what anything did.

Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I think I dun alright learnin myself how to use it ;)

Canon are for inferior people anyway ;)

182 Cup
Cheers as I said these were just experimental shots, need some good weather so I can wash the car and try again.

Shifty, they're really good.

I personally like the style of light painting, where you can't see the light source, so it appears the car is in complete blackness. Your light trails are nice too.

182 Cup
Cool it's given me an idea for next time too, some of the pics you can see the torch as I must've pointed it towards the camera.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Nice I like those pics, really wanna clean my car and take some more

My only advice is to find a nice source of artificial lighting. The first picture was taken in-front of some blue floodlights that were bolted to the ground and faced upwards, perfect for night photos!

You can see the lights in this picture...

3962809287_29baa34211_z.jpg

Results look good IMO...

3942184696_e58df2fa34_z.jpg

182 Cup
Yeah that is pretty cool I'll ave to try n find a good light source, also want to find a good location, graffiti walls for example.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
In a nutshell, how do you do this?

I'm guessing its done on slow exposure and then photoshopped onto duplicate photo without the blur of a person running round with a torch?

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
No Photoshop necessary, just a slow exposure. As long as you keep moving the camera won't notice you, it kinda helps if you're wearing dark clothes too.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Totally depends on the amount of light in the area at the time.

Try 30 seconds. If that's no good, up it (you'll need a remote + bulb mode).

Most important thing is the white balance (go read the Stickies in Photography) !

6643634929_6114567460_z.png

The Scoob at Two Tree Island at night by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

This was 96 seconds and still too dark IMO.

The following was 32 seconds and just about right:

6643699177_9deb8279ba_z.jpg

Further attempts after moving the camera... by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

In my pitch black garage, this was 143sec:

5927533473_fd15e439fa_z.jpg

Garage snake by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

You get the idea.

Regarding the remote:

You either want something like this remote on Amazon which is literally a shutter open/closed IR jobby..

or something like this which can be found cheaper on Amazon which plugs in, does single shots if you want but can do multiple exposures etc. too.

Make sure you buy one that will work with your camera ! Those are just examples.

:evil: