ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Car - Help ?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Okay doke, starting to look for my first car, I have £5000 to spend, this is including insurance :mad: . I'am only 18 and have no N.C.B. However i do have a good income. I keep changing my mind about the car i should get,this will either be a:
Clio Dynamique 1.2 (lower it, etc)

Citroen Saxo VTR(chav...yes) or a VTS(again lower it etc...)

orrrr

Clio 172/ 172cup(which i would love so much!)

The thing is if i got a 172/cup i would probaly need to take out a loan, probaly for a year or so, but i'am willing to do it, because it would be totally worth it.

Also insurance! Although some people here are against going on there parents name... people do it... why not insurance is a joke. So i could maybe be put against that as an additional driver(im going to phone around and see what prices i get)

So basically, i have been on cs for over a year and pretty sure i will get the info and help i need... :)

Thanks, Ben.

172, if you can afford it and it wont be leaving you too short every month.. but then again, its pretty powerful for your first car

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Ye very true, but in all seriousness im not going to run it into the ground, it really will be my second pride of joy!... edging on first :D

Mk1 Ph2 1.4 RT !FOR SALE!
1.2. You'll only crash the 172/vts

Get a couple of years experience in a less powerful car

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
as with most people, if you can afford it get one, but dont get a cup, insurance will rape you even more than they will in a full fat!

but you'll be paying £5k on insurance maybe?i had a quote at 18 with 2 NCB at £3.5k with 1 years experience.

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
1.2 until you can drive. Just because you have passed your test doesn't mean you can drive.

M2 Competition
1.2 dynamique mate. If you go on your parents insurance, you'll have no no-claims, and never be able to afford insurance on a 172...

As said above, learn to drive it for a year or two, then sell up for something faster if you feel the need. Thats what most on here have done. You can have plenty of fun in a 1.2, quicker than they look!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
1.2 dynamique mate. If you go on your parents insurance, you'll have no no-claims, and never be able to afford insurance on a 172...

As said above, learn to drive it for a year or two, then sell up for something faster if you feel the need. Thats what most on here have done. You can have plenty of fun in a 1.2, quicker than they look!

Some insurance companies, direct line for example still give you N.C.B if your on someone else's name...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
thinking about it mate i reckon you should get a 1.2, or possibly a 1.4, otherwise you'll sturggle to get a faster car thats nice for similar money etc when you come to get rid, if you progress through the ranks you'll have more fun than starting right near the top!

n2x

e60/f10
I partly disagree with the people who say you will only crash the 172. My first car was a VW golf 3 with an 1,8 engine and 90hp. Had it for about a year and then bought a 172. At first it was wild but it isn't that quick until it reaches the "magical" rpm. Maybe i've just gotten used to it, but if you think while you drive and don't take unnecessary risks you'll be just fine. Maybe its the crappy roads here in Estonia that won't let me drive faster, but the part i like the most with 172 is that if i want to drive slowly, i can and if i need to be faster i also have that option. Maybe all the boy racing thing has gone past me but i don't find thrilling accelerating to a WHOPPING 50-60kmh(~35mph) from a green light with some chav. On a highway, its a bit different. We have a 2-lane highway and if i want to get past a slower car i need to change to an oncoming lane. Its better to do it quick and risk-free.
The whole insurance situation is a bit different there so i can't comment on that.
Peace and buy what your heart desires the most - just don't go wild behind the wheel :)

Renault Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2
Id go half way buy a warm hatch. I dout you would get even get insurance on a 172 as a named driver. I have not driven many fast cars because of my age. Only thing i have driven on the road is a Polo GTI that seemed quick and aggresive compared to my 1.2. YARIS SR cheap to run and also quick...

Renault Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2
Thinking about it mate, I would go for a YARIS SR. Insurance group 7 aswell. I would read a couple of reviews you will be surpriced what you get.

LY V6 with Recaros
I'd say just get a 1.2 for a year or so, the insurance will be ridiculous on a 172. Depends how much you earn I guess, but would you really want to spend thousands on insurance?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Agree with the above. Go for a 1.2, 1.4 or DCI.

The insurance will cripple you on a 172 and money spent on insurance in many respects is a waste of money.

I have a 1.2 and it is fun. Ok you aren't going to beat loads of people of the lights but its fun in the twisties and its somehow reassuring to know it won't go so fast that you can easily crash it. I think with a 172 you would be far too paranoid and this would limit the enjoyment.

Also there is the jealousy aspect - you will be paranoid about parking a 172 and leaving it incase some t**t comes and eggs it or whatever.

As for being a named driver and building up your NCB with direct line - this is what I am doing. But remember that NCB is non-transferable to other companies. Also direct line refused to insure me on a 172/182.

A 1.2 is also more economical on a day to day basis of course e.g mpg, servicing, parts etc, and as there are more around if the worse was to ahppen finding the parts would be easier and cheaper.

Conclusion : get a 1.2/1.4/DCI not a 172/182

Sam

H.Maxim

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FF
Go for the 1.2 and keep it for a couple of years then i'd go for a 172/182. I've got a 1.4 maxim for my first car and crashed it after 3 months although that probably says more about my driving skills or lack of than anything else.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
in a shocker of a response on the clio forum, I'd get the VTR. plenty quick enough for a 1st car and a lot more reasonable insurance than a 17/182 or a VTS, plus you pick up some half decent ones and insure them within you're £5k budget. dont take out a loan on you're 1st car at 18, loans are debt and if you can afford a half decent 1st car without its stupid to put yourself in debt. save your pennies and buy a 172 or 182 when you've got a couple of years NCB.