ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First phone or daughter?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What deals are about?

Like the idea of capped from Tesco, but anyone know of any other deals?

What phone, needs to be touch screen?

Funny you mention this, im looking for 1 for my boy for his birthday, been looking at the Galaxy Y, or similar.

He's only 8 so don't want anything fancy for him, just enough to play games on and Facebook...

This was my first phone, when i was 12 (6 years ago). Times move on fast! Carphone warehouse usually have good deals, and phones4u. Best of going in and seeing them and they will be able to advise on the most suited phone.
mzAe8uIhNRsD4kkEdG-QCBA.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
How old is your daughter Steve? (No funny jokes, serious question)

​Surely an iPhone wouldn't be to good a phone if she's young, with regards to mugging, damages etc. Maybe I'm thinking way too into it but its just a thought.

How old is your daughter Steve? (No funny jokes, serious question)

​Surely an iPhone wouldn't be to good a phone if she's young, with regards to mugging, damages etc. Maybe I'm thinking way too into it but its just a thought.

This is what I was thinking. Don't really want your children lugging around £250's worth of phone as they're an easy target. Didn't mention this in my first post as I didn't want to upset anyone but maybe a cheaper phone will be good enough. All age dependent and it's your decision at the end of the day!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My eldest son is 10 and he has a S3 mini, fits in his small hands just fine.

Clio 182
I used to use these things called pay phones. They were great for games such as is mr wall there and doing reverse charge calls to your mum to ask if you can stay out till late.

I'm almost positive Daniel will have something funny (no doubt a story about his offspring costing him hundreds on data & losing phones after one week etc) to say on this matter...

Age seems to be the thing stopping any advice from being useful yet? If it's for a teenage girl then peer pressure & the "facebook generation" (read "the realities of being young in the 21st century" perhaps) will = an iPhone of some sort with a massive data allowance (schools wouldn't give kids the wifi password, surely?!), then you can forget texts & minutes due to iMessage, whatsapp etc.

If she's at an age where all her friends don't yet have iPhones, then you'll be able to get away with something cheaper that you won't have to worry about monetary value etc.

And yes, I remember when a Nokia 3210 was the absolute rage. And then fcuk me... the 3510i with a colour screen... it was like an episode of Tommorow's World.

I'm almost positive Daniel will have something funny (no doubt a story about his offspring costing him hundreds on data & losing phones after one week etc) to say on this matter...

Age seems to be the thing stopping any advice from being useful yet? If it's for a teenage girl then peer pressure & the "facebook generation" (read "the realities of being young in the 21st century" perhaps) will = an iPhone of some sort with a massive data allowance (schools wouldn't give kids the wifi password, surely?!), then you can forget texts & minutes due to iMessage, whatsapp etc.

If she's at an age where all her friends don't yet have iPhones, then you'll be able to get away with something cheaper that you won't have to worry about monetary value etc.

And yes, I remember when a Nokia 3210 was the absolute rage. And then fcuk me... the 3510i with a colour screen... it was like an episode of Tommorow's World.

We had the wifi password at our school and at college we actually have a detected wifi network for students haha.

Even if kids have the wifi password, it will be pretty useless as pretty much all schools have filtering. Doesn't stop them always asking me though!

DB.

BMW 440i
I read the thread title and thought you were debating between buying your first phone or having a daughter lol

DB.

BMW 440i
It wouldn't surprise me on CS. It would probably be ClioToby debating financing a gold plated phone or starting a family, followed by some later threads about which buggy to PCP

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
It wouldn't surprise me on CS. It would probably be ClioToby debating financing a gold plated phone or starting a family, followed by some later threads about which buggy to PCP

I actually laughed out loud! haha.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
11 just want a phone she can get used to managing calls, data etc with.

Next phone will be iphone or similar as per peer pressure.

Tesco do capped plan that has a buffer, ie if you max out you get a buffer for emergency calls.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Nokia Lumia 520 on 3, £16 a month, unlimited data, 100 minutes, 5000 texts (the youth of today ironically use phones for everything other than phoning)

means she can youtube, whatsapp, browse as much as she wants with no surprize bills, just have her warned not to go over 100 minutes or adjust the plan for a slightly pricier one with more minutes

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
My daughter has an I Phone 4 (bought 2nd hand in decent condition) it's on a 12 month O2 contract which i pay the monthly bill as the contract is registered with me. The 4 works for her for internet, texting, music.

£11 a month: 300 mins, unlimited texts, IIRC 500MB data

The trend nowadays is texting rather than call, data is as important as they go on FB and twitter. She uses WiFi wherever possible to keep the data allowance. The phone bills are e mailed to me so i'll see what it is this month as it's her second month on the contract

Last edited:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Bought a samsung Fame & 12 month payg £6.90 per month.

200 mins 5000 texts 500mb data.

After a year she will get something better.