ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitted Ecotek

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Ive just fitted my ecotek, but how do you "tune" it properly? Has anyone got one on a 1.2 (2000)? Have you noticed any difference?

Thanks

As it says in the instructions. Something along the lines of:

* Wait until you engine is at normal operating temperature
* Unscrew the valve until it starts to vibrate (youll know when!)
* Tighten the valve until the vibrating just stops, and then tighten another 1/4 turn.

I have my doubts about the unit. It does indeed aid the economy, but I am sure the performance of my engine is compromised. The throttle response is better since the air only has to flow a very short distance into the inlet manifold. However, its sucking in hot under bonnet air and Im also not convinced of the filtering ability of the device (even with the pipercross foam mini filter).

Im booked into a rolling road on Saturday to test just this. Ill let you know how it goes.

Ill probably keep mine anyway and only use it on long journeys since it does add 4-5 mpg to my fuel consumption.

Blue, i think you are a bit mixed up. The device wont replace any air that would normally come in through the throttle body. But instead add a little swirl of air into the mainfold which they say aid mixture of fuel/air. However, i really dont think it can do this effectively since it works on the manifold vacuum, which oly really appeard on overun. So, wont affect on throttle fueling. It works in the same way an old device for carbs worked, When the engine in in overrun, there is a vaacuum in the manifold, this would normally mean that the acrb would be trying to supply air and fuel eventhought he butterfly is closed....so the unit would put small amount of air into the manifold, meaning teh carb would supply less air, thus less fuel, aiding fuel economy. But this ecotek device has so many false claims and flaws it really doesnt work as well as it should. For example, where the unit is placed (nearer cylinder 4 for example) how the swirl would be erdicated by tumble as air flows over the valve......etc.etc

[BenR]
how does the device produce this swirl then? Surely it is by letting a small amount (compared to the overall induction charge) of air into the inlet manifold through the valve.

Ill let you know the results of my rolling road session on Saturday anyway.

well, they say it injects a swirl of air into the inlet manifold, but how the valve does this through a 90 deg bend and a convoluted tube, then into an area of fast moving air, i dont know. In principal, if you blew smoke through a straw, out the window on a windy day (wind blowing left to right), then teh smoke will just join the mass airflow and wont reach anywhere near the left hand side of the window....same principal......how would i reach all teh cylinders equally....noted that not all inlet manifolds have the brake vacuum pipe near the butterfly.

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

well...i fitted mine correctly, but i just dont know how to tune it. so i leave it idling, and then turn it till it makes a sound right? Then i lock it in place. However when i rev the car up hard, it makes the most awful sound in the world. In fact it would take first place for the worst fart sound in the world! Its really loud and "parpy". Even though i have an induction kit it is louder than that! Should the ecotek be that loud? people say its a hissing sound, but i swear it sounds like some fat git farting down your local!

Thanks

Dude, shhhh. im in my uni computer lab and everybody is lookin at me cause im laughing too loud.......it snot meant to fart....haha.
undo it till its makes that rasp fart noise on idle. Then screw it back until it stops. Add a 1/4 turn moe and lock it in place with teh locking ring. Pull the accelerator cable to rev the engine, and if it makes a squeek on overun then its tunned right.

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

well i aint tuned it correctly yet, cause when i rev it in the engine, i dont hear crap! i need to loosen it slightly i fink. Well im glad you had a good laugh at my expense. Only jokin! Next time im just gonna shat all over yall face! ;-)

Just been to ADC in Nottingham. Did two runs: one with the ecotek fully closed, and the other with the ecotek open and tuned.

Without Ecotek: 89bhp @ wheels
With Ecotek: 90bhp @ wheels

So, as you see, theres not much in it. I guess Ill leave the ecotek on since on long runs my fuel economy goes up by 3-4 mpg.

Im well pleased with the dyno result though. Taking the 15-18% transmission losses that equates to 105-110bhp at the flywheel. No? Stock for the car is 90bhp.

Has anyone else used the rolling road at ADC?