ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Bonnet Pins

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone got any pictures of the best place to fit flush aero catches to a 172 bonnet?

I think I'm going to get someone to do it for me but would be nice to point them in the right direction!

I might be popping up to see Mark soon mate - Want me to make a stencil of my bonnet?

I actually got a spare bonnet, spent hours getting it spot on, then made a template and used that to transfer onto my bonnet for both sides. Only way you can get it mm perfect.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I might be popping up to see Mark soon mate - Want me to make a stencil of my bonnet?

I actually got a spare bonnet, spent hours getting it spot on, then made a template and used that to transfer onto my bonnet for both sides. Only way you can get it mm perfect.

Any help would be appreciated mate. Im gonna ask my local body shop to do it I think as want it as tidy as possible.

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6803.jpg

I did look at putting them there - but the curve of the bonnet makes them look a bit funny and you have to fit them upside down which would have driven me nuts lol

I did look at putting them there - but the curve of the bonnet makes them look a bit funny and you have to fit them upside down which would have driven me nuts lol

U only think that when I looks at urs I think there up side down lol it's about as flat as ur getting were mine r man no real curve

U only think that when I looks at urs I think there up side down lol it's about as flat as ur getting were mine r man no real curve

It actually states in the instructions they're meant to be the other way round LOL. Something about stopping water running into them. But yeah I don't think it really matters

where exactly have you ph2's put the pin? I've put mine in the 10mm hole thats already there but It's not low enough and i've ran out of thread on the pin

Cup In bits
Instead of using a dremel and getting rough edges, follow that guide up untill step 6 where there is a pilot hole drilled.

Drilling from underneath using that pilot hole as a centre for hole saw drill the bottom skin only, also make another pilot hole on the other cross hares and drill from underneath to begin with again only the bottom skin.

You will then have two big holes on the bottom skin and just two pilot holes on the top skin. Repeat that process on the top skin using the correct size hole saw to suit the aerocatch size.

Once that is done then use a dremel to join the two circles in the top and bottom skin and you will have two perfectly shaped tear drops, a snug fitting one on the outer skin and an oversized one underneath and I would recommend buying some of these as it makes it so much easier and stronger.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=370532307087

I also moved mine towards the centre as far as possible to stop them kinking the bonnet when there tightened down, most people fit them on the convex part of the bonnet and it ripples up the bonnet. Try getting them the right way round too, as if you have them the wrong way, there's potential for the wind to open them if not secured down.

P1000374-1.jpg

I used the slam panel fixing hole on the N/S for the aerocatch pins and I made a plate up on the O/S that can be seen in the left of the below picture (it bolts to where tbe slam panel did) The slam panel ends on the car are different size, from side to side.

P1000598.jpg

Last edited:
I followed that guide and tbh it's wrong, because the pins at full length and in a different position on the bonnet than when theyre at correct length. You need to get the to where they'll sit properly then mark.

Cup In bits
I followed that guide and tbh it's wrong, because the pins at full length and in a different position on the bonnet than when theyre at correct length. You need to get the to where they'll sit properly then mark.

You need to make sure the pin is in a vertical position (bend the slam panel a little) before putting paint on the tip to mark the bonnet and you have to ensure that pilot hole is perfectly vertical when the bonnet is in the closed position otherwise it throws off everything.

I'll try grab a picture of mine from behind, perfect tear drop shape the same as the aerocatch shape but about 15mm bigger on the circumference in order to fit that locking plate I linked above.

SQ5
PH1 are so much easier!!!

Though you can't get 120mm trumpets in them :p

Especially when its an aluminium bonnet too!

I was worried about doing mine and ended up being piece of piss! Couldnt of taken more than an hour.

Pins in, slam bonnet down, drill hole, mark template, cut, fix

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep

I don't think its wrong. I drilled it where it was marked and had no troubles what so ever with it. Done 2 clios like it now a Ph1 and also a Ph2.

Leeds just take your time mate, also from looking at your project thread you have bought the 'Flush' aerocatches ! There are not the ones that are in all the pictures posted in this thread so far.