ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For anyone still unsure about DSLR Video

Watch, be amazed (and remember this is at 1/4 resolution)...

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2086

Shot in 72hrs, no training, no manual, small budget and all the footage is completely raw from the camera.

'Making of' is here...http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008...h-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/#more-1085

And yes, I know this is Canon and I'm a Nikon boy, but Nikon announced similar tech a while back, and either way, the future looks pretty darn exciting whichever side of the fence you sit.

The cost of doing this to the same standard on professional video equipment is suggested to be upwards of $100,000.

Last edited:
72 squillian pounds of lenses used though lol

Yup, but we buy lens for photography anyway, so it's not as though we have to do anything differently. If I had the talent, I imagine my 50mm 1.8 and 120-300 2.8 would be able to capture the majority of that footage to a similar standard.

The beauty is that he was given the camera body by Canon one day and that was it, nothing else, no planning or anything. Obviously he's stupidly talented, but he's never shot a second of video in his life, just bolted the lens he owns anyway on the body and off he went.

true but even still £2300 is an awesome amount of money lol

Just the start, I imagine. Sure a good lens is always going to cost money, but as this technology filters down it should become available in far more affordable bodies. Nikon already have the D90 (£700), which is 720p and will still produce very very impressive video.

Just a few minutes of footage of the Britcar 24hr at night would have been awesome to show people, I can certainly see some good occasional uses for it.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've read the D90 produces very similar results in high ISO etc compared with the D300. I know what my christmas list will contain...

Cupra
Wow! If I sell my 40D, Sigma 30 & 12-24............ I am still not even close to being able to justify getting it. lol

Might buy a lottery ticket for this weekend.

14' Leon Cupra 280
That is pretty impressive! If i want HD video though i'd rather buy a HD camcorder. As he said he tripod/head will have been very expensive too which of course makes the difference.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Yeh no doubt that is an awesome camcorder. I suppose for video i'd never use it to it's full potential anyway, whereas for my 5D i use it large prints etc. For the size i'd use video i.e youtube/vimeo, a £500 HD camcorder would still be better :)

vers le haut doigt milieu
The cost of doing this to the same standard on professional video equipment is suggested to be upwards of $100,000.

A Sony HDV 1080i professinal camera is only £1600! These are the camera we send out with some of our SNG trucks. There good for documentrys and shooting vox pops.

http://www.proav.co.uk/Cameras-&-Camcorders/HDV-1080i-Camcorders/p15158_sc484.aspx

Spec

http://www.proav.co.uk/Uploads/HVR-A1E(brch).pdf

If you wanna reccord video buy a video camera. thats what their designed for.

A Sony HDV 1080i professinal camera is only £1600! These are the camera we send out with some of our SNG trucks. There good for documentrys and shooting vox pops.

http://www.proav.co.uk/Cameras-&-Camcorders/HDV-1080i-Camcorders/p15158_sc484.aspx

Spec

And I thought carrying around a DSLR was noticeable, that thing looks obtrusive!

Remember nobody here is going to get a DSLR to primarily shoot video but its going to be amazing to have as an optional feature, specially with the D90 starting at 700! & people are already tied into the lenses... etc.

Spec

And I thought carrying around a DSLR was noticeable, that thing looks obtrusive!

Remember nobody here is going to get a DSLR to primarily shoot video but its going to be amazing to have as an optional feature, specially with the D90 starting at 700! & people are already tied into the lenses... etc.

Well its a good feature to have on a camera because its like a free extra and I wouldnt turn it down. but remember a video camera uses a shutter so u can document high speed definition unlike a DSLR which I believe just leaves the shutter open.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i think people are forgetting that this camera will produce images as good as a £1000 D300 and opens up a whole new world of possibilities by offering HD video. For £700 its far and away the best imaging tool available and a real step forward.

of course but do remeber it leaves the shutter open so for filming motor racing you may not be able to get the definition you require.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i think people are forgetting that this camera will produce images as good as a £1000 D300 and opens up a whole new world of possibilities by offering HD video. For £700 its far and away the best imaging tool available and a real step forward.
i think you are fogetting that the camera producing this quality of video is the 5DII which is actually £2k for the body, not sure the d90 will be as good, for a start isn't it 720p rather than 1080p?

Also, this video is great, can't deny that but do you realise how much work and cost of lens's went into producing that!

Its great for creating short frames of film and editing them together (editing is a right pain and most can't be arsed to do it!), its not like you can go to do a days filming while you take pics, you can't zoom while filming for instance so its not as versatile as a camcorder in that respect being able to zoom in and out of subjects etc.

I see it as a great tool for someone who is really serious about producing a top quality video and has a lot of very expensive fast lenses. Not the average joe who wants to replace his video camera and use the dslr for both, thats my opinion anyway.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Chris [ukaskew]

What kit do you have at moment. I have a Ricoh CaplioR7 and a Fuji S9500, but looking to add a DSLR to it.

At moment comtemplating the Canon EOS 450D. Though the Nikon D80 or D60 look pretty good. Am i right in thinking the D40 and D60 rely on a motorized AF lens to do the focusing as its not in the body?

B

Brown.

Camel Knuckle ftw !!!!!.....a equally pleasing alteranate to camel toe :D
Picture1.png

oh erm........excuse the bookmarks :p

Its great for creating short frames of film and editing them together (editing is a right pain and most can't be arsed to do it!), its not like you can go to do a days filming while you take pics, you can't zoom while filming for instance so its not as versatile as a camcorder in that respect being able to zoom in and out of subjects etc

You can't zoom? Maybe if your using a prime lens...

I'm just quoting the pros. Can that £1600 camera really do selective focus / depth of field to those levels? I would be very, very surprised if it could. If you are a photographer and you have some fairly fast lens anyway, chances are the depth of field control is going to be far more interesting to you than absolute resolution, as that's what we like 'playing' with when shooting stills anyway.

I think the point is, that if you happen to have fairly fast equipment (as hundreds of thousands of people do anyway) you all of a sudden have a very very high quality video camera at your disposal, which can only be a good thing. Would I ever consider buying a £3000 video camera? No chance. Would I take advantage of the fact that I happen to have one right in front of me when I have my camera with me anyway (which is all the time), yes I probably would.

FF Blackgold 182
Warehouse Express have an offer to buy the 5d Mark II now and pay next year. Hmmmmm???....., no I must resist!!! :nono: Amazing bit of kit that! :D

Its great for creating short frames of film and editing them together (editing is a right pain and most can't be arsed to do it!), its not like you can go to do a days filming while you take pics, you can't zoom while filming for instance so its not as versatile as a camcorder in that respect being able to zoom in and out of subjects etc.

You can zoom (on the D90 at least, I've checked), and you can flick back and forth between filming and stills in an instant, so there is no reason why you can't put together a good days filming with a normal set of photos.

Worth a watch, a bit of real life handheld D90 video (heavily compressed, obviously), I'm extremely impressed (need to wait a minute or so)...

[youtube]6iNnozDYIL0&NR=1[/youtube]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6iNnozDYIL0&NR=1

Bump the aperture up and they don't even seem to need to focus, which is pretty cool, so an 'average joe' could use a slower lens and probably not run into any problems. The highlight, for me though, is the 50mm 1.4, it makes you realise how unusual it is to see seriously blurred backgrounds in anything but movies.

of course but do remeber it leaves the shutter open so for filming motor racing you may not be able to get the definition you require.

The 5D records at 30fps, surely that's more than enough for motor racing and the like? There is also hope that 24p will be available, which puts it ona par with film cameras.