ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For those who like tyre stretch

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
mmmmmmmmmm

oettingera4_DSC01729.jpg

I wouldn't drive it anywhere like that lol

C

clvs2222

totally illegal + stupid. if he had a blow out and hit me id rip the f*****s head off.

RenaultSport 172.
totally illegal + stupid. if he had a blow out and hit me id rip the f**kers head off

Nope.
the wheels can be outside the arches :D
the only legislation is that the tread of the tyre has to be in the arches...and becuase of the angle of the picture, i think it may well just be ;)

Legal...& Stretch.

Although stretch like that is OTT for everyday use...most likely for show use on some 10j Scmidts or the likes :p

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I don't have any other photos'

Wheels like that will be show wheels lol. No one drives about on stuff that streched.

RenaultSport 172.
tyre stretch is an argument that is all over the net...and hasnt got a real law in force to say its illegal...so nobody knows who is exactly right mark...police and mot testers can be funny about it, but on the other hand, they cant really fine or the likes as theyre is no legislation to support them...just theyre opinion.

the only legislation is the tyre tread has to be in the arches...so most just aboid by this...

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
tyre stretch is an argument that is all over the net...and hasnt got a real law in force to say its illegal...so nobody knows who is exactly right mark...police and mot testers can be funny about it, but on the other hand, they cant really fine or the likes as theyre is no legislation to support them...just theyre opinion.

the only legislation is the tyre tread has to be in the arches...so most just aboid by this...

this is where its at +1 or what ever you cliosport click like to do lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have thought the manufacturers recommendation should be gospel and enforcable by law.

That to me is like me running my competition wets on the road, they work alright, have a good legal tread pattern and lots of legal tread depth, but the manufacturer states they're for "competition use only" and hence they're illegal on the road.

Yet a manuafacturer can state that it's unsafe to run a 195 width tyre on a 9 inch rim, but it isn't illegal to actually do that?

Common sense really IMO.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
thing is they dnt state its unsafe to do it, they say that a 195 tyre is sutable for a wheel up to a certain width, totaly different to saying competiton use only

RenaultSport 172.
yeah i can see where your coming from matey :)
...i love tyre stretch and can see both points of view.

it originally was introduced on jap cars, as its easier to drift on them or something, then the euro scene made it bigger and has become like a MUST in the dub and euro scene.

The loop hole in what your saying is, racing slicks have a law that theyre not aloud for road use...theyres a law in force saying you cant do it.
But with stretched tyres its only a reccomendation so its not technically something you have to 100% aboid by. the only law is that they tread has to be in the arches...hence why most cars running silly stretch have silly camber so its classed 'Legal'

Cupra 300 ST 4drive

your insurance company will drop you like a stone when they check the car over if the accident is your fault , if it goes to court i'd be wearing Huggies

RenaultSport 172.
thats why i said stretch like that is for show use only and not for day to day daily drivers ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I can see what you're saying.

It's only a matter of time before there's legislation against this in my opinion.

Sidewalls exist for a purpose, and when taking strecthing to the extremes above the sidewall ceases to be able to do anything...very unsafe I'd have thought.

Never above 25mpg
Not my cup of tea at all. Id rather have 13 inch wheels with tractor tyres than 19 inches and a fat elastic band as a tyre.

RenaultSport 172.
yeah...its an argument thats been going on between the law and citizens and between citizens, so sooner or later they'l be law against it or law with limitations somewhere along the line...

only a matter of time...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
It's not as unsafe as people think to a limit, obviosuly the pic shown will be, but I have a few mates who do drifting to competition level, BDC and EDC and they use pretty heavily stretched tyres sideways at 90mph with no problems. Most of these tyres are cheap part worns or worse so they are held on by the bead better than they look.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Why do people hate anything thats not boring..

Love it. Though for show use only.. f**k motorways + that