ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Formatting macbook pro

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
For an unknown reason my macbook pro is not performing 100% as it was when i got it about a year ago or so.

Not that it is performing slowly, but I jsut notice it giving me the multi coloured wheel more often when using safari and takes quite a while to shut down. Before, it would shut down in a matter of seconds.

I have the Mac OSX discs that it was supplied with it. the Mac OSX install disc and the applications install.

Only query being is how do I back up all my itunes? i have 11GB of music and also numerous folders worth of pictures I have taken this year.

Do I use time machine to do this to an external HD?

Anyone give me the basics in how I do this? cheers :cool:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just copy the files to your ext. HDD and then copy them back again !? Don't need Time Machine to do something as simple as that for you ;)

Go into Documents > Music > iTunes > whatever.... where your music is, and drag/drop onto HDD. Same for pics but obviously not in music folder :rasp:

Shimplez, no ?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You don't need to.

Boot from DVD, select "Archive and Install". It will archive your old OS X system and install a new one. It will keep your home folder and other settings.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
You don't need to.

Boot from DVD, select "Archive and Install". It will archive your old OS X system and install a new one. It will keep your home folder and other settings.

that sounds pretty sweet. does it take as long as xp/vista to do? ie: hours?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
that sounds pretty sweet. does it take as long as xp/vista to do? ie: hours?

It takes as long as a normal OS X install, doesn't take too long.

Once it's reinstalled, you still have access to the old system folder incase there was anything in there you wanted/needed, if not you can just delete it. It leaves your user directories alone, so all your files will be there straight away after the reinstall, from memory it also brings across your network settings, so you don't have to go scrabbling around for your WiFi password.

You end up with a nice, new, clean and fresh installation but with your data intact!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i tried the whole disk utility repair permission but that didn't do much to help.

i'll give it a go now then i guess!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You don't need to.

Phew, I'm glad you said it! lol.

Yeah, it takes around an hour, to archive and install a fresh OS.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i restarted and put the osx disc in but it just came up to the normal page and the cd rom whirred and a screen came up asking if i want ot install osx. is that correct? if i click the install button will it give me the option to archive and install?