ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From 1.2 to 2.0 (New Car)

The Beast MK4
Hey folks

As some of you may have been aware of I picked up a 53 Monaco Blue 172 off John185k today.

To give you an idea I have been driving a 1.2 8v Clio for 4 years!

First impression = WOW!

1. Acceleration is so powerful and the viper that is fitted give it a wee bit more grunt. 60 appears almost instantly! lol

2. Handing is immense, in fact better than my old car with Eibachs on it. The other car felt stiffer however unless it was bone dry and you have some good tread you never felt 100% confident in the twisties. On the other hand it wasn't designed for that in the first place.

3. Rattles, the 172 is definately worse than the 1.2 in this category lol

4. I think the wind is having more of an affect on the 172 than the 1.2. Being a farely windy day you felt its affects on the open straights. The wee one didn't suffer so much.

Test drives and demos have left me, friends and family with smiles on their faces and the experience has just begun. Looks like i'll be around here for a bit longer. :D

Many thank to John185k for looking after the old girl and making the sale such a smooth process. I'll take car of it. :approve:

The Beast MK4
More than like! I do feel sorry for taking it off you though...

As for the pics, when a decent bit of weather comes along ive got a scenic photoshoot planned. :cool:

Lots of Alfas
I know what your going through I did the exact same thing 4 months ago. Still miss my 1.2 in a strange way though. After 4 months on you forget how different the 2 cars are. I drove my brothers 1.2 the other day into town and it felt broken!

P.S. must agree with the rattles comment!

LY V6 with Recaros
I drive my bfs 1.2 quite alot to work in the week, you certainly notice the difference when getting back in the 182!

The Beast MK4
Ive experienced the speed difference before as I live on a farm with tractors! lol

Tractor to 1.2 = Quick!
1.2 to 172 = Quick!

Tractor to 172 = Supersonic! :cool:

182 Cup
Hey folks

As some of you may have been aware of I picked up a 53 Monaco Blue 172 off John185k today.

To give you an idea I have been driving a 1.2 8v Clio for 4 years!

First impression = WOW!

1. Acceleration is so powerful and the viper that is fitted give it a wee bit more grunt. 60 appears almost instantly! lol

2. Handing is immense, in fact better than my old car with Eibachs on it. The other car felt stiffer however unless it was bone dry and you have some good tread you never felt 100% confident in the twisties. On the other hand it wasn't designed for that in the first place.

3. Rattles, the 172 is definately worse than the 1.2 in this category lol

4. I think the wind is having more of an affect on the 172 than the 1.2. Being a farely windy day you felt its affects on the open straights. The wee one didn't suffer so much.

Test drives and demos have left me, friends and family with smiles on their faces and the experience has just begun. Looks like i'll be around here for a bit longer. :D

Many thank to John185k for looking after the old girl and making the sale such a smooth process. I'll take car of it. :approve:

Oh matey I am about to make the same jump and your post excites me greatly!

Chocolate Bar™
there isnt one day im not glad i upgraded from a 1.2 to a 2.0. just try to take it easy, and not put it into a lamppost like i did with mine after three weeks :(

(but it wasnt my fault so ner!) lol

Yaris Hybrid
I remember taking that jump and it was unbelievable. You won't believe how slow a 1.2 feels when drive one again.

One thing though, really savour the moment the first time you drive the 2.0 because within a few weeks you will have got used to it and it won't feel any faster than you remember the 1.2 being!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
sounds good. i would contemplate removal of viper, they mainly get negative feedback. spend some money and get a itg

182 Cup
I always take great pleasure even in my 1.2 on 2 motorways sliproads, one going to work and one comin gback...I simply cannot wait to gun the 172 on those sliproads this coming Thursday.

The Beast MK4
sounds good. i would contemplate removal of viper, they mainly get negative feedback. spend some money and get a itg

Just on for the winter months mate. Got the original box and im planning to put a ITG panel filter in it. Gona try put a custom cold feed on the viper to get more cold air too it in the meanwhile though.

And btw test drives fairly eat v-power! Fook me!

Thats another two friends happy lol

liquidized RacingBlue 182
ive only ever driven my 182! did have a 1.2 for couple mnths but never took it out as i had the 182 for wen i passed ma test! so driving anything of lesser quallity woood be hell me thinks!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Tis the same jump I made :)

1.2 is still in the family (It's my little bro's now) and I had to drive it earlier round the block... was fecking awful :p

Clutch was pants, steering was pants, acceleration was pants :p

im sure i posted a reply in this post.. but here goes again. Im glad u finally got your new car, its been and exciting journey and youve been very xcited about getting it. and im also excited at the fact that i get to test drive it today :D

The Beast MK4
^^ You posted in the pics section ya daft bugger! ;)

And B@llsie i'll keep an eye out for the beast as well. :cool:

FF 182 w/cup packs
Sweet car, looks great

I always take great pleasure even in my 1.2 on 2 motorways sliproads, one going to work and one comin gback...I simply cannot wait to gun the 172 on those sliproads this coming Thursday.

I still love doing that, had the car a year now and it doesn't lose its appeal. Also at the toll booth of the servern crossing, always a winning ;)

Banana

Just on for the winter months mate. Got the original box and im planning to put a ITG panel filter in it. Gona try put a custom cold feed on the viper to get more cold air too it in the meanwhile though.

Copycat lol ;)
Glad youre enjoying the new bus matey, look forward to seeing it in the metal.