ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front strut woes . . .

Persiflage

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Phase 2
Pre MOT inspection showed one strut leaking. On removal both top mount locations were found worn (pic attached).
The car has been owned since 4 months old. I had issues with occasional clonking from right side front which Renault never got to the bottom of . . . And it got better with time. I reckon this was probably the issue.
Any thoughts, anyone come across this before? No issues ever experienced and nothing ever mentioned at MOTs.

Attachments

• 20190621_094212.jpg
    20190621_094212.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 107

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That’s the ‘official’ Renault repair to elongate the hole mate. It’s actually the strut top washer/spring that caused the issue. It was rectified with a revised top mount design.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Wow that's not normal wear and tear! I'd say you need the strut top replacing and I'd shame Renault on Facebook as you're probably not going to get any joy from their lack of diagnosis all those years ago now.

Edit: wtf? Renault really did that??

Persiflage

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Phase 2
Hi Northloop,
Am I reading you correctly . . . During their investigation all those years ago they took a grinder to the top mounts?
I've inspected the suspension components and there isn't any comparable year on them.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Edit: wtf? Renault really did that??
yes, yes they did.
Hi Northloop,
Am I reading you correctly . . . During their investigation all those years ago they took a grinder to the top mounts?
I've inspected the suspension components and there isn't any comparable year on them.
Yes mate, you are reading me correctly. Before they fully understood the real issue, this is what they did to try and rectify the knock.

If you google Renault Clio top mount, or use the search function on here, it should bring up more information on the revised design. ??