ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FRSH?

Partner's Astra SRi
Not sure where to post this but looking at an Autotrader ad for a Monaco Blue 172. The seller has but FRSH in the ad but I can't find what that means. Does anyone know?? I can't figure it out.... :S

Partner's Astra SRi
Yeah, been looking on and off for the past year. Dad said he can help me out on a car as long as it's sensible. I'm arguing that a 172 is sensible!

Fell in love with Monaco when I got my Dynamique nearly two years ago.

Yeah, been looking on and off for the past year. Dad said he can help me out on a car as long as it's sensible. I'm arguing that a 172 is sensible!

You've got a sensible car at the moment which wont require him giving you any cash, or am I missing the point :S

Partner's Astra SRi

You've got a sensible car at the moment which wont require him giving you any cash, or am I missing the point :S

Starting to get problems with it which will be expensive to get fixed (can't do them myself as I have no clue!). Already spent a LOT on the car fixing things and I hit a deer last year which was £800 odd to fix. Plus my Dad is perfectly happy to give me money for a car, he's putting my sister through university.....

Starting to get problems with it which will be expensive to get fixed (can't do them myself as I have no clue!). Already spent a LOT on the car fixing things and I hit a deer last year which was £800 odd to fix. Plus my Dad is perfectly happy to give me money for a car, he's putting my sister through university.....

tbh if i was in you position I'd probably get myself a newer small engined car. The tax is about to go through the roof on 1*2's, petrol will be alot higher than you're currently spending, general servicing and running costs are alot higher and the insurance will be a large step up too.

Not trying to put a damper on things but I'd consider all that first. Prime example in one month last year on my 182 I shelled out over 1k that was for road tax, a pair of tyres and the 36k service. I got a deal on the tyres and service and the car didnt have any extra work over and above the belt and filters as part of the service.

They're becoming cheaper to buy now but they're not cheap to run properly.

Last edited:
Yup, get used to spending upwards of £50+ to fill the tank and £260 road tax next year. A 172 is much more expensive to run if you use your car alot. Tbh, if you dont use your 1.2 alot you'll be out more in a RS for the fun of it.

You know its in insurance group 16 and 172s are starting to knock on abit, so expect aux/cam belt changes soon.

Partner's Astra SRi
I am aware of the costs and can easily afford them, but thanks anyway :) The insurance will end up less than what I'm paying now for my 1.2 Dynamique.

I am aware of the costs and can easily afford them, but thanks anyway :) The insurance will end up less than what I'm paying now for my 1.2 Dynamique.

You said a reason for getting rid of the 1.2 is the increasing costs, the 172 will be worse by a long shot. I wasn't saying you can't afford it just saying the 172 will cost alot more so getting rid of the 1.2 to reduce costs you certainly wont run a 172 for less. Not quite sure how you figure a group 7 ish car is cheaper to insure than a group 16 one either.

Partner's Astra SRi
I wasn't having a go, just saying that I was aware of the costs.

The reason I want to sell mine is that I've already spent a LOT on it but by looking at at it you'd never know. Spent £800 to fix it after I hit a deer in November and right now I'm not sure it will pass it's MOT next week. This is why I want to get a new car as mine is becoming unrealiable. Plus I have been after a Monaco 172 for over a year.

And the quote from Directline I got for an 04 reg 172 was £543 whereas at the moment I am paying £606 for my 1.2.........so that's how I figure it's cheaper.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
FRSH has about as much meaning as a piece of turd on your tyre.

Reno suck tbf.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
FRSH has about as much meaning as a piece of turd on your tyre.

Reno suck tbf.
Nice and productive, as per usual i see...

It is an advantage to have FRSH as you know genuine parts will have been used, and if anything ballsed up it would have been covered ETC.

Either or, full service history = all good.

Just keep your fingers crossed you don't end up with a moneypit nail of a 172 if you make the swap. There's no garantee a 4 year old 172 will be any more reliable.

I'm sure if you asked directline for a quote on your 1.2 it'll come out cheaper than what they've quoted you for a 172....

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Christ, you harpooned a deer-bet that was a mess. Did the impact finish him off or did u have to put him out of his misery with your wheel brace?:dead:

Does sound a little odd you can get a group 16 quote for less than your 1.2 unless of course they're featuring in the damage repair to your existing quote from when you took bambi out?

Christ, you harpooned a deer-bet that was a mess. Did the impact finish him off or did u have to put him out of his misery with your wheel brace?:dead:

Does sound a little odd you can get a group 16 quote for less than your 1.2 unless of course they're featuring in the damage repair to your existing quote from when you took bambi out?

Probably more likely a case of currently paying higher than the odds, if you factor in another years no claims and a more competative insurer the 172 appears cheaper to cover when it's obviously not going to be.

If she asked directline to quote for renewing on her 1.2 I'd bet both my balls it'll come out cheaper than the quote for a 172 they've given her.