ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel consumption

Ibiza FR
I've got a 1.2 16v Clio and for the past year I've been getting around 40-50mpg depending how I drive the car.
Recently, I opened up the airbox to find NO air filter :dead:, so I put a K&N panel filter in there and replaced the CAF which was also missing. My mpg then started to stay around 48-54mpg with sensible driving.

But now, the past few days it has dropped right down to low 40's, even with sensible driving! Is there anything that could have gone wrong or am I overreacting?

Cheers, Mitch

Evo 8 MR
Are you looking in the right place? I've not got a 1.2 but the filter is right at the back in the housing on mine, I hope this isn't gonna turn into a complete FAIL thread lol.

Ibiza FR
As fair as i know! I took the two bolts out at the front, and then the top half comes of and leave like an angular plate with a hole, where you can see it curve round into the engine. The new filter fitted in there perfectly, so yeah i think so!

Ibiza FR
What sort of figures do other people get with 1.2 16v's? Just to give me an idea of what to expect? Although I'm sure it's dropped for no reason :(

Ibiza FR
Nope, always sainsburys regular fuel, never any different! And its been fine up until now. Just been out for a drive and got 38.5 mpg :dead:
I did put some redex in with the tank before last one though, but surely this wouldnt make it worse?!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
My 1.2 was always w**k on fuel consumption. Was only any good on long runs where i got 53mpg, but round town etc it was only a bit better than my 182.

Used to get about 38-43mpg.

Think mine may have been fucked.

Ibiza FR
I wouldn't mind if it had always been like this, just annoying how it has dropped recently, without a reasonable explanation. Ill see what I get over the next few days then.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Max I've ever had is 42 on a long motorway journey which I got bored of and soon changed to the usual high 20's/low 30's. :s

Ibiza FR
in a 1.2? Maybe i was just getting lucky then! Or, it was because of the very unrestricted airbox with no filter, and now it is going back to normal :(

133, 182, Kangoo 182
in a 1.2? Maybe i was just getting lucky then! Or, it was because of the very unrestricted airbox with no filter, and now it is going back to normal :(
Yeah a 1.2 but down to my driving style. I have a cone filter btw.

Ibiza FR
I took the CAF back off from behind the headlight to the airbox and my mpg has shot back up :) just got 48-50 on the way home from college!