ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny Idle??

Clio RN & Honda blade
Hi All,

Recently the engine management light came on on my 2004 clio 172, took it in to the garage and he said the fault code it's showing is the cat, but he doesn't want to change the cat until he knows for sure thats what the fault is!

He said it's more likeley the Lambda sensor! As the clio has one before the
cat and one after, does anyone know which ones go more often the 172's?

It also idles very baddly, and you have to rev it alot higher to pull away! Mechanic said it's to do with the lamda sensors/cat as they play a big part in the air/fuel mix.

Any advice is much appreciated on this one!

Mike

Last edited:
  PH1 172 Sport
It'll probably be the upstream cat lambada sensor the downstream one just checks that the cat is working and does not effect the running of the car. The upstream one however does effect the running of the car up to about 5000rpm irrc when the ecu runs as an opens system so it propably would cause bad idling etc.

The cat will also not effect the running of the car and I seriously doubt its failed on an 04 car.

Clio RN & Honda blade
That's awesome, thank's for your knowledge.

The engine management light comes on after about 45 miles in 5th, so i imagine when it heats up alot?

Will change the upstream lambda then take it for a bash up to London & see what happens.

Thank goodness for christmas bonuses!!

PH1 172 Sport
No problem. It might be worth a search as there are a few large threads on it somewhere. Just to confirm what ive said.