ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another idle issue

2001 Clio RSi
I'm just a new member, but having had a look around here I notice idle issues aren't exactly unheard of!
I'm only on my first Clio, it's a 2001 RSi, so a Mk2 Ph1.

I've been having issues with its idle. Essentially, when it's stone cold it tries to idle far too low and cuts out. I have to hold the revs with the pedal until I get the temperature gauge off the stop at the bottom. Then, it'll just barely idle, but still too low. As the coolant temperature increases, so does the idle speed.

Having plugged it into diagnostics, it said the idle circuit was inactive. It also highlighted a couple of sensors giving spurious readings.

So far I've replaced:

- MAP sensor
- Intake air temperature sensor
- Idle control valve (the one on the car looked rather old)
- Throttle position sensor

To no avail. Admittedly, the throttle position sensor has made the throttle control at low revs far smoother. It still doesn't stop the revs dropping too low when cold.

Another strange symptom is that it doesn't seem to be using the ICV at all. If I manually move the plunger, it just stays where I leave it. If I fully retract it, tries to 'idle' at 4,000rpm which is exciting! If I set it to a position where it will idle when cold, it ends up idling at about 2,000rpm when warm though! Not ideal. Also, if the ICV is plugged in, I can't move the plunger. I have to unplug it to move it.

I have heard about the pre-cat lambda sensor being a problem. However, the live data showed the voltage on the pre-cat sensor rising and falling in a sine wave as it should. Plus, the post-cat sensor was giving a steady reading.

Is there another temperature sensor on these that feeds the ECU? My temperature gauge on the dashboard is giving a reading, but of course that doesn't always mean the ECU is getting the correct reading.

Unfortunately I don't have the diagnostics to hand right now, as they belong to a friend. I should probably invest in some if I want to own a Clio for any length of time!

2001 Clio RSi
Oh, I've also checked for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner around the hoses going into and out of the ICV and didn't find anything.

I also replaced the spark plugs, which has helped the engine run noticeably smoother but it still can't seem to control its idle.