ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ganna need help, Asap, Plsplspls.

Clio MK2
Right. So last night about 11pm, just come off a slip road onto the A331.. Going a standard speed.. 2 maybe 3 thousand revs.. changed it in to fifth from fourth.. and my car just throws itself forward like I've just changed from fifth to second going 50mph.. quite a jerk forward.. after getting control back I took the exit on the A331 tried changing down gears, 3rd, nothing, 2nd, nothing, 1st, nothing.. it just all felt like I was going to fast to change the gears down, so in the end, I stopped.. Got out of the car and checked to see whats going on.. Wasn't happy. -

Earlier that day I filled up my car with engine coolant, done the tires, just gave it the run through before leaving that afternoon, so I knew I was set for the night.. anyway, the engine coolant was just complete bone dry.. There was oil, not a lot.. but it was a standard amount.. straight away, I sent my girlfriend to do the dirty work of slowing people down as I broke down on a completely blind corner.. the first person she waved down was a lovely couple willing to help us, the bloke offered to tow us down the road, (not many decent people like that round anymore..) So we set off, to have the rope snap on the round about and have to jump out and push it all the way round a round about.. without abs its quite hard.. ahah, Time was now about half 12ish.. After the couple left I had no choice but to call my brother.. - he knows how I do.. :cool: Anyway.. He got looking around, we topped the engine coolant right up to the max line, put a bit of oil in ect.

These lights didn't turn off and are still on. -

we tried bump starting it, we tried jump leading it, we tried everything, just nothing.. it just won't turn over.. imo I was thinking it was lack of petrol to the engine as that is what it sounds like.. I had just topped up £20 so it wasn't my first guess.. but yeah.. we thought it was a seized engine but theres not compressed air, and after a while of trying everything we nearly had her going, but just nothing.. at the time of 2;30am and no result we decided to give up and run her to the closest carpark.. good ol' waitrose.. :lolup:

So she is sat there now, Until I make my next move.. I've searched everywhere over the net and cant seem to find a reasonable same answer.. so I thought I'd ask every lovely person on her..

Any advice helps..

Thanks guys,
Greg.

Skoda
Right. So last night about 11pm, just come off a slip road onto the A331.. Going a standard speed.. 2 maybe 3 thousand revs.. changed it in to fifth from fourth.. and my car just throws itself forward like I've just changed from fifth to second going 50mph.. quite a jerk forward.. after getting control back I took the exit on the A331 tried changing down gears, 3rd, nothing, 2nd, nothing, 1st, nothing.. it just all felt like I was going to fast to change the gears down, so in the end, I stopped.. Got out of the car and checked to see whats going on.. Wasn't happy. -

Earlier that day I filled up my car with engine coolant, done the tires, just gave it the run through before leaving that afternoon, so I knew I was set for the night.. anyway, the engine coolant was just complete bone dry.. There was oil, not a lot.. but it was a standard amount.. straight away, I sent my girlfriend to do the dirty work of slowing people down as I broke down on a completely blind corner.. the first person she waved down was a lovely couple willing to help us, the bloke offered to tow us down the road, (not many decent people like that round anymore..) So we set off, to have the rope snap on the round about and have to jump out and push it all the way round a round about.. without abs its quite hard.. ahah, Time was now about half 12ish.. After the couple left I had no choice but to call my brother.. - he knows how I do.. :cool: Anyway.. He got looking around, we topped the engine coolant right up to the max line, put a bit of oil in ect.

These lights didn't turn off and are still on. -

we tried bump starting it, we tried jump leading it, we tried everything, just nothing.. it just won't turn over.. imo I was thinking it was lack of petrol to the engine as that is what it sounds like.. I had just topped up £20 so it wasn't my first guess.. but yeah.. we thought it was a seized engine but theres not compressed air, and after a while of trying everything we nearly had her going, but just nothing.. at the time of 2;30am and no result we decided to give up and run her to the closest carpark.. good ol' waitrose.. :lolup:

So she is sat there now, Until I make my next move.. I've searched everywhere over the net and cant seem to find a reasonable same answer.. so I thought I'd ask every lovely person on her..

Any advice helps..

Thanks guys,
Greg.

Did Jedward write this for you?

RenaultSport 182FF
I would imagine you would find the car a hard push if you were relying on 'ABS' ;)

Did you mean power steering :D

Yet again, I would be another to suggest cambelt

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Not sounding harsh or anything, but even though it did break down on you, if its is a snapped cambelt, the engine is wrecked, as you changed down the gears to try & keep going, plus you were cranking it over when trying to jump start it, then bumping starting it, so if it is the belt gone, its game over.

you checked if the belt has snapped?? whip the top belt cover off to see?

Clio MK2
91K miles, was probably bound to do this soon.. Had a new cambelt I think, the service history is great.. nothing really went wrong with it.. until last night.

"sigh"

I haven't checked it yet..
I was thinking fuel pump as it sounded out of petrol, ill be checking tomorrow morningish.

Thanks

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
91K miles, was probably bound to do this soon.. Had a new cambelt I think, the service history is great.. nothing really went wrong with it.. until last night.

"sigh"

I haven't checked it yet..
I was thinking fuel pump as it sounded out of petrol, ill be checking tomorrow morningish.

Thanks

does it sounds normal when its cranking over? reason why i ask is you can tell the difference on an engine thats cranking over with compression.... to an engine cranking with a snapped belt, that has no compression. do some checks in the morning.

Clio MK2
Yeah it sounds normal.. It goes fine, just doesn't turn over, thats why I didn't think it was a snapped Cambelt.. Ill check in the morning.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm puzzled, how does it sound normal when cranking it, yet it won't turn over?

does the engine actually turn over but won't fire into life?
if its not even turning over then a lack of petrol isn't going to alter that situation.

Clio MK2
Had a mechanic round this morning to tell me the bad news.. He said that the water pump was failing as it wasn't getting the water round the engine and in result it pulled the cambelt off.. He quoted me some disgusting price but told me he might do it cheaper.. Fingers crossed of RIP ruby:( she was a good run </3

PB Clio 172
I think you should of taken it stright into a garage when you knew it was drinking water!

Hope u get it sorted soon

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Dependent on how much damage you have done to the engine, I could put in a little offer to buy it off you.
it may help towards your new engine funds ;)

1.2 16v
Having a duff water pump can result in this happenin? s**t...

This is a vid of what noise mine is making which I think is the water pump lol... Been like 6-7 months now... Just over 3kmiles. Hope I don't end up down the same route, absolutely skint and bank won't borrow :(

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihOhaM3K4o4

1.2 16v
How accurate is this guide please? (I have studied this like theres no end)

http://www.donkennedy.co.uk/Clio/Clio.htm

I'm not a total numpty, but it would be my first time attempting a belt + pump change. but out of peace of mind I'm gonna buy the parts and do it myself as I can't really afford to spend hundreds at this moment in time although I would really like to! :(

Don't wanna end up like this poor guy!

Clio MK2
had a long think at what I wanted to do, got a nice big sum of £500 for the fixing of the waterpump, cambelt, - New.. After an hour of persuading, I got a free recovery and 3 month warranty also a free MOT.. I mean, its not as bad with all the free stuff.. With everyone talking about noises and sounds, I didn't have any noises or sounds.. the only hint on mine was the temperature.. It kept rising and falling when it felt like it.. after breaking down and nearly getting fucked by a car coming round the bend.. it did occur to me, that the water pump wasn't doing anything as my engine was just boiling within 5 minutes of driving it? Something wasn't right. But I'm sending it off, Being a collage student I don't really have the money to fix it straight away, but he said he'll hold onto it... Got a nice guy here.. Doesn't over charge and doesn't charge by the hour..

Also, the link above me.. it is helpful, if you do want to try it again.. but your just best getting someone to do it.. or you might make it worse? :/

Best of luck.

Ill keep you updated

1.2 16v
Hmm hopefully you can get it sorted mate.

Yeah, I've just split up with my fiancé, had a house an tht an now that I've paid off all he last bills this month, just under £1k.... I am now skint, but I'm not staying here.
I know it needs doing ASAP, I just feel like I've got no choice But to do it :(

Clio MK2
I guess if you know your way round the car.. And know obviously what your doing it should be simple to do.. its not that much of a big job, if you haven't fucked the valves.. Sorry to here that mate, Best of luck.

Greg

Clio MK2
Cars now fixed, MOT been done, Bought a new Seatbelt, thought i'd treat myself.. Should of failed the state it was in.. A great lump sum of £500.. After paying 3 Grand for my insurance I'm bust!
Cant wait to be back on the road on Friday!

Cheers guys.