ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear selector or crap gearbox?

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Hi, just finished dropping a 37k mile engine into my ph1, took a while but managed to get the gear linkage sorted and it goes into all the right gears when stood still, but when on the move it crunches into 3rd and 4th, not too bad but it wasn't there on my old 90k miler and is annoying,

so the question is, do I need to play with the gear linkage a bit more or is the gear box bolloxed?

Cheers.

Cup In bits
Sounds like synchros, depress the clutch and wait for 5 seconds before selecting 3rd and 4th while moving through the gbox on a steady drive and if its gone its synchros.

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
will give it a go, cheers,

I'm well f@~ked off if its knackered, took me over two days to get the pissing thing in there!!! :banghead:

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Sorry fella, yes the gearbox came with the engine, supposed to have only done 37k and that's whats now in the car, my 90k old box has no problems apart from been on the floor in the garage :rolleyes:

Cup In bits
Time for to crack the tools back out again pal, nothing worse tbh after just finishing a job.

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
I'm going to go and have a little sob in the corner :cry:

after that I'm going see about Agency transmission re-conning my old box which I'll put back in once returned,

plus I may have forgotten how long its just taken me by then, still to get the 438's mapped too, this is going to cost £££!

Do you know if there's a quicker way of getting just the box out (dropping the subframe?)? I'm sure I've read that there isn't and the engine + box all have to come out.

330i. E30 Touring.
Engine doesn't have to come out.

Some say removing the subframe is quickest, and i'd agree if you've got a ramp and air tools.

On the driveway with axle stands, i take the box out of the top. Don't have to touch the subframe then.

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Thanks Budgie, ye just the usual on the drive sort of affair so looks like the top again, cheers

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
well looks like its definitely the synchro that's bust, if I take it slow, no crunches, a little faster, crunch. On the upside I've stopped the exhaust from rattling and my solid AST topmounts seem to work well (guess that's for another section though).

i get this all the time on down shifts in to 3rd, even when rev matching and can feel like the cogs spinning through the gearstick

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
just to answer my own question with the part numbers -

HAVAM - AD3885
HAVAM - AP4007
KM Germany - 0690842
RENAULT - 7701475929
RENAULT - 7701476557
SACHS - 3000951204
TRW - TCK2410

the one in bold it the actual quoted number from Renault when I phoned them

ref - http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/548646.html