ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox/Driveshaft leaking!

I have probably posted about this before but... I had taken my car to the AA garage because the gearbox/driveshaft was leaking grease/oil and rust deposits. I took it to them and they just used a sealent and sealed the connection between the gearbox and the drivehshaft.

However the leak has come back and the garage told me that I would need a new RHS driveshaft?! Wallet cries in pain at the thought!! Is this really the case? I would of thought a seal would need replacing?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the right hand side driveshaft is sealed by a replacable seal in the gearbox casing.you need this seal replacing.dont see how a driveshaft is going to fix the problem.

just to bring this back up...which side is right and which left? is it as you look at the car bonnet from the front, or as if you were sitting in the driving seat facing forward?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Im assuming yours is a 94 - 96 clio ? A brand new service exchange shaft from Renault is £61.68 - part no 7701352224 - you will also need a roll pin to fit it on - part no 7703067320 - 33p. A drive shaft seal for the o/s is £7.61 - part no 8200068744 ( 27-95x56x10 ) size

Not as bad as my garage, was leaking so took it to them and they said it was leaking from the gearbox to block joint, turns out there was a massive tear int he gaitair, which i specifically asked them to check

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by steve_rt on 16 December 2004

just to bring this back up...which side is right and which left? is it as you look at the car bonnet from the front, or as if you were sitting in the driving seat facing forward?
ask them is it the n/s or o/s shaft? (n/s closest to the kerb)

it is my n/s shaft that is leaking from the box - i was just asking whether this is the r/h side you talked about with a replacable seal?

If so, is the seal renewable without dismantling the box?

Thanks
[Edited by steve_rt on 17 December 2004 at 3:00pm]

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the n/s is sealed by the driveshaft gaitor (easily replaced and there commen for leaking)

the o/s has the changable lip seal

if your sat in the drivers seat n/s is left and o/s is right.

planning on spending tomorrow doing this...

the haynes manual says something about having to press a new bearing into the shaft when fitting a new gaiter. Sounds like something I wont be able to do without a press (agree / disagree??!!) - I thought / hoped that you would simply be able to get the old one off and replace it with a new one. Naive probably!!!

Easily replaced you said Jay...have I got the job right or is the Haynes telling me to do it a very long winded way (as I have found before!)?

Any advice people during this festive period...

thanks

Steve

Actually, I could probably make this much easier...

Do I need to do any pressing or renewing of bearings if I want to change the gaiter?

Is there anything else tricky about it (apart from trying to undo rusted bolts on a freezing day!)?

Would it just be eaiser to renew the whole shaft?!

Cheers,

Steve