ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox for 280 conversion

Clio 182 Track Spec
Hi Guys,
What we talking regarding gearbox for 280/300 conversion.
All it is.. I’m doing clutch/flywheel and upgrading ready for conversion but I’m also looking at a Quaife LSD but I’m thinking gearbox now and is it a waste if I need to change-Thanks in advance
(182)

Clio 197
Hi Guys,
What we talking regarding gearbox for 280/300 conversion.
All it is.. I’m doing clutch/flywheel and upgrading ready for conversion but I’m also looking at a Quaife LSD but I’m thinking gearbox now and is it a waste if I need to change-Thanks in advance
(182)
I 1st used clio 197 gearbox when I did a r26 conversion. I found if you revved it out to 6800 rpm you only dropped down to 5300 so no rev range to play with . It felt stupidly quick but in reality you spent as much time changing gear as in gear. I compete in hillclimbs and found megane box much longer ratios felt slow but is quicker . My advise use a dci box

Clio 182 Track Spec
Sticking with a jc5 box?

Well I read that the standard gear box would be ok but ate there any real tested options? All I’m saying is I want to do it once if you know what I mean. If a standard box (maybe rebuilt) and a lsd works then that’s what I shall do, but if 280 rips it to bits then I’d rather change box and spend £ that way.
What you think?
Cheers

Clio 182 Track Spec
I 1st used clio 197 gearbox when I did a r26 conversion. I found if you revved it out to 6800 rpm you only dropped down to 5300 so no rev range to play with . It felt stupidly quick but in reality you spent as much time changing gear as in gear. I compete in hillclimbs and found megane box much longer ratios felt slow but is quicker . My advise use a dci box

We talking 182 here?
Do you know if dci box is tried n tested?
Thanks mate

Clio 182 Track Spec

And also will pms gear linkage kit fit?

dan's cast offs.
ratios on the standard box are no good for boost, especially decent power. some of the dci boxes are fine but a couple of them have a stupidly high 5th gear (could be thinking of the later box though sorry)

going for a later 6 speed box isn't a straighforward conversion though.

have a look through this if you want to check ratios. i've ran a few boosted cars with dci boxes and it can work well.

http://www.volvohowto.com/jc5-jb3-jb5-jb1-and-jb0-renault-gearbox-ratios-and-applications/

Clio 182 Track Spec
ratios on the standard box are no good for boost, especially decent power. some of the dci boxes are fine but a couple of them have a stupidly high 5th gear (could be thinking of the later box though sorry)

going for a later 6 speed box isn't a straighforward conversion though.

have a look through this if you want to check ratios. i've ran a few boosted cars with dci boxes and it can work well.

http://www.volvohowto.com/jc5-jb3-jb5-jb1-and-jb0-renault-gearbox-ratios-and-applications/

Wow I just looked, there’s loads to look at! Not an easy subject! I think it’s a case of try it! Decisions decisions ?

PH2 172
Wow I just looked, there’s loads to look at! Not an easy subject! I think it’s a case of try it! Decisions decisions ?

An 089 makes a lot of sense.

will top out at 158mph @ 7000rpm,

but as a daily, this should not be a great inconvenience.

dan's cast offs.
boosted engines running decent power, the ratios and fd on the standard box spoils the way they drive.