ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox gone. Worth fixing it or just replace it?

My 182 started making a not so nice noise today. The garage said it sounds like the gearbox.

So to change the gearbox is it an engine out job? I've got the car booked in for its belts in about a month. Would I be as well doing both at the same time?

Also, is it worth investigating my gearbox or am I as well just getting a reconditioned one and swap it out?

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Engine out and on the floor is 2.5-3hrs work. Makes the belt job easy aswell as the box swap.

A decent box used will be £200-250... I'd say fix it

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
You can buy a gearbox off the bay for cheap. Get that reconditioned and stick that in the car when you get the engine out.
Then sell the dieing on back on ebay to get some money back.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wouldn't fit a second hand box, not without re-furbing it first.
They're s**t at the best if times let alone one that you have no clue about the history.

S4 Avant
Thought it was subframe lower and Box out? Does the whole lump need to come out? :O

Nope. If you're not doing anything engine related, its pointless having to drain the fluids and remove the engine.

Drive shafts out, undo steering rack, subframe off, box out.