ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox problem

Clio 1.4 RT
hi all ;)
My Renault Clio 1.4 mk2 gearbox is a pain to put into 2nd and 3rd sometimes what could be doing this don't know much about the car as i just bought it is it dry? Or is it the linkages? hope i don't need a new gearbox but when i start the car oil light comes on i know there's enough oil in could it mean i need gear box oil?? please help
thanks
​nick

Last edited:
It can be a few things, try changing the gearbox oil first. If this doesn't change it, then you'll be looking at a box or clutch.

What oil light comes on? Red oil can? When its running or just when the ign is on?

Clio 1.4 RT
When we first turn on the ignition we get a warning where the mileage is and it just says oil and looks like a dip stick at the side of it. There is enough oil in the car. I will try changing the gear box oil first. Cheers

When we first turn on the ignition we get a warning where the mileage is and it just says oil and looks like a dip stick at the side of it. There is enough oil in the car. I will try changing the gear box oil first. Cheers

I found after changing the oil in the car my OIL ---- warning wouldn't reset without the battery being disconnected for a short period, about 5mins, then taken for a little drive to let it work it all out.
I'm not sure if it affects/measures the gear oil though. One of my driveshafts is leaking and it doesn't seem to bring up any reading.
My 1.4 was tricky to get into gear because my engine dogbone and Gearbox mount were totally wrecked. When you drive does the gearstick judder back and forth on acceleration? New dog mount was about £15 and it made it MUCH easier to put into gear since the whole engine wasn't shaking about the place, wish i'd had the sense to do the Gearbox mount as well.

monaco 172
my old 1.2 was a nightmare to put into second from 1st and i put up with it for years, then about 3 month before i flogged it i changed the box oil and it cured it.

carlube 75w90 will be fine for it.

Clio 1.4 RT
I've topped up my gearbox oil and it seams to loosen up a bit or shall i just change it??
oh and thank u for all the advise