ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox question

Land Rover
I have just joined this forum to look for a Clio 182, and bought a Clio 182 from a member on here (D11 CUP)
I love the car, l bought it with a known gearbox whining noise and am looking at how to repair it.
As it is a 182 Cup, (well l believe it is) l have been looking at second hand gearboxes and there is some discussion about whether a 172 gearbox will fit.
Something about speedo drives?
Can somebody tell me which gearbox l need. Is a PH2 172 gearbox OK or do l need a 182 one, and is the “Cup” gearbox different?
Most adverts say “172/182 gearbox”

Part of me thinks just leave it, it’s only a whine at 30mph when on the gas, my Porsche did that for 40,000 miles!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Hiya ! You’ll need one without the speedodrive (sensor in the gearbox that is used as a pickup for the speedo, the other models use the ABS rings)
The 172 phase 1 uses speedodrive (jc5-089) and I believe some of the earlier 172 cups (JC5-129)
The 182 cups use JC5-130
Have you considered a gearbox rebuild ? There’s a few people on here very talented at gearbox rebuilding.

Land Rover
Thanks for the reply, yes l did consider repairing it but the problem is distance, l live near to Stockport Cheshire and am unable to remove the gearbox myself.
Second hand gearboxes seem to be in the range £100-300
I was going to get the clutch replaced at the same time, it works fine but is very heavy.
I have looked at about eight 172/182 and some had a light clutch which l assume means it has been replaced.
Is it worth replacing the cable first?

dan's cast offs.
Be wary of used boxes, seen few now that when fitted aren't as good as the seller claimed them to be.

Heavy clutch is just from mileage/age. You could change the cable but highly unlikely it will make any difference.

Nil presently.
I have just joined this forum to look for a Clio 182, and bought a Clio 182 from a member on here (D11 CUP)
I love the car, l bought it with a known gearbox whining noise and am looking at how to repair it.
As it is a 182 Cup, (well l believe it is) l have been looking at second hand gearboxes and there is some discussion about whether a 172 gearbox will fit.
Can somebody tell me which gearbox l need. Is a PH2 172 gearbox OK or do l need a 182 one, and is the “Cup” gearbox different?

Part of me thinks just leave it, it’s only a whine at 30mph when on the gas, my Porsche did that for 40,000 miles!

Hi there buddy.

The vehicle itself isn't a factory 'Cup', it's what's known as a full fat version with the cup suspension package. The Cup was a lightweight stripped out model without A/C.

In terms of the clutch being heavy, unfortunately that's just a perk of 182 ownership. I owned the very vehicle you've purchased a few years ago (WU54KTV), and the clutch just as heavy as the other 182's I've owned in the past, so I wouldn't worry too much about that - you'll get used to it in no time.

Land Rover
Removing a gearbox is beyond my skills. It’s only got a bit of a whine at certain lower speeds l may well leave it until it gets worse as it’s not an issue at the moment.

Land Rover
The solution for me may be to buy a used box and send it for reconditioning and then get it fitted along with a new clutch when the old gearbox gets worse.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You local to Huddersfield then mate?

2003 Clio 172
The solution for me may be to buy a used box and send it for reconditioning and then get it fitted along with a new clutch when the old gearbox gets worse.

This is the best option I'd say. The box in my 172 has been whining for a few hundred miles and it's not got much worse (yet). I know it will need doing eventually, and when it does I'll either get a a used or recon box fitted.

PH2 172
You’ll need one without the speedo drive

Really?

The ABS driven speedo drive will continue to function with a 129 or 089 fitted.

A rebuilt 089, with higher final drive ratio, converted to bolt up diff by @NorthloopCup would be my personal choice.

@Landyman

JC5 GEARBOX RATIOS.jpg

Land Rover
I am not able to remove the box and send it to him. So l asked him if he ever got a gearbox in to stock.
Or could he source one if l paid him up front as it would be cheaper than me doing it and then sending it to him.
He said he was expecting to get one in the near future.
So l said l would pay him whatever the cost to supply and refurbish it, then send it to me.
Then after l get it fitted l will send him my old one.
And he said that was OK he would let me know when he has one in stock.

PH2 172
I am not able to remove the box and send it to him. So l asked him if he ever got a gearbox in to stock.
Or could he source one if l paid him up front as it would be cheaper than me doing it and then sending it to him.
He said he was expecting to get one in the near future.
So l said l would pay him whatever the cost to supply and refurbish it, then send it to me.
Then after l get it fitted l will send him my old one.
And he said that was OK he would let me know when he has one in stock.

There`s a JC5-130 £165 right there.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-172-ph2-bits-and-bobs-clear-out-gbox-ecu-ect.818615/

A day out to collect admittedly.

renault clio 182
alright guys kinda new to the clio 182 i bought a clio 182 bg the guy said i needed a driver side drive shaft so i purchased a new one only to find out it had split not the drive shaft but the differential in the box now my question is guys what other gear boxes fit direct or what other differential can i put in cheap and cheerful thanks in advance?.....