ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox selector and seal knackered / possibly the gearbox as well. HELP

Full Fat 182
Hi all,

I've just got back from the Renault dealership after taking my 182 there to be looked at as I've had a gearbox leak for the last couple of weeks. They gave me really bad news. Basically the gearbox selector shaft is knackered, and the oil going into the gearbox is pretty much just spewing straight out. To add to that, the past week the gearbox has begun to rattle... which I'm guessing could mean the gearbox itself is damaged and may need replacing.

Long story short, I'm looking for a cheaper way to fix it, as Renault quoted me 2.5k all in to change the gearbox and selector shaft. I'm pretty mechanically naive, but I just can't comprehend how it would cost that much to purchase and fit a new gearbox. They've said I may be able to get away with just replacing the gearbox selector shaft, which will cost around £350. Can anyone recommend alternative options / i.e; if you're a mechanic yourself and can fix this get in touch, if you know any Clio 182 knowledgable mechanics in the Surrey / Hampshire area that aren't going to charge me thousands.

Thanks in advance!

Dan@519automotive. In the traders section.

Or pm failsport (budgie) on here also.

Every 172/182 leak at the selector shaft. Mine pisses out( 1/4 a litre every 12 months)

Full Fat 182
cheers Martin, 519automotive is too far away but I've contacted failsport. It's definitely a serious problem I have, not just a leaky shaft (<<f*ck rephrasing that :p ). The gearbox feels worse by the day and the rattle over the past week has increased daily.. Not driving it anywhere from now on, just insured myself on an Astra... boo :(

172 Ph2
Every 172/182 leak at the selector shaft. Mine pisses out( 1/4 a litre every 12 months)

​Oh really, thats interesting. Not had my car long but the place I took it in for a service noticed the selector seal was leaking, worth getting replaced or?

(Sorry for hijack)

​Oh really, thats interesting. Not had my car long but the place I took it in for a service noticed the selector seal was leaking, worth getting replaced or?

(Sorry for hijack)

To replace it the box needs stripping and it will leak again a few months later. Tnd in france do a seal repair kit .

172 Ph2
To replace it the box needs stripping and it will leak again a few months later. Tnd in france do a seal repair kit .

Funny, a garage reckoned it would cost around £50 to replace the seal when I got them to quote on a couple of other bits too.