ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox STILL bloody leaking!

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
Hi,
182 gearbox rebuilt, new seals everywhere, topped up with oil and refitted.
But the box is weeping gearbox oil from somewhere higher up where it joins to the block. I’m wondering did I overfill it or is there a seal nipped? - anyone with experience able to throw some light on this?
Please, please, please - no answers or suggestions from persons without 1st hand knowledge or experience.

Thanks,

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
There's no oil where it joins the block...

Sure it's not your rear main seal on the crank?

monaco 172
I can't see how it could be leaking gearbox oil high up where it joints the block, as the bell housing doesn't contain any oil, just the input shaft, but if it was leaking from there the oil would be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing, not high up.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Maybe chuck some pictures up, I assume if it’s high up it’s probably coming from the breather tube.
How much oil did you put in it?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Has no one thought of asking how its possible to fill the gearbox up then fitted it? As that is what OP has said.. You have to fit the box in a 182 complete with the nearside driveshaft before you can fill it with oil.. lol..

Anyways.. OP where did you fill the box up with oil.. You've asked the question of " had you overfilled the box?" Well its not really possible to really over fill it because if you have filled it through the Plastic wingnut at the front of the box then that level is about half way up the box and as soon as it spills out of the hole then its full..

Also do you remember how many litres of oil did you used?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
Can’t remember how many litres exactly I added. I just went until it was high enough to drip out of the inlet at the front. Need to get a good look around the underside just to see just what’s going on.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
How level was the car when you filled it? Did you really fill it out the car?

With mine up in the air I think I could get another liter in.

Also are you SURE its not coming from the shifter mech and not being sprayed up the back or something?

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Are you looking at the bottom of the gearbox, seeing fluid and assuming it’s leaking from above?

Renault gearbox’s are designed to lose/leak fluid as a way of self lubricating.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Are you looking at the bottom of the gearbox, seeing fluid and assuming it’s leaking from above?

Renault gearbox’s are designed to lose/leak fluid as a way of self lubricating.

I think thats just w**k the dealers told people who complained. No gearbox should ever be designed to intentionally leak - sadly a fact that most of these do leak though the daft shifter input normally because the top bushing wears which gives the o-ring seal a hard time. Even if some clever grad in the gearbox dept. said "hey, the leak will lube the seal" it would have only needed a bee's dicks worth and not a cup full each month - the surrender monkeys obviously knew about it because they fitted that stupid period pad to the plastic cover.