ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearing question

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive been looking at the gear ratios between the Clio 1.6 16V and the Clio 1.4 16V and the gearing ratios are the same except for the final drive ratio.

Does this mean I could drop a 1.6 lump into my car no problems and no changes to the gearbox.

Exactly what does the final drive ratio affect as that is the only difference between the two.

BMW 320d Sport

Final drive governs the top speed. Two boxes can have the same ratios but if the final drive ratio is higher on one it will give it a higher top speed and longer gearing in each gear.

BMW 320d Sport

BTW I just put a Williams gearbox into my 16v and even though the series code was totally different it went straight in. So give it a go.

BMW 320d Sport

Well it seems to be quicker, maybe its just my imagination though.

Its definitely stronger though, which is exactly what i need.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

ok so lets say I put a 1.6 16V clio engine into my car and change nothing else...how will this affect the performance of the car?

Would i need to change gear ratios to get an added boost.

Im not interested in top speed of a car cos 185km/h is a stupid speed to travel at anyway.

I want faster acceleration and more power thru the gears.

Now here comes a thought...how much would it cost (roughly) for a 1.6 16V transplant.

What else could I do to the car to improve its acceleration and power for the same money?

Which would give the "more bang for buck"?

Thanks

BMW 320d Sport

Well the more powerful engine means you will reach the end of each gear quicker, simple as that. But why transplant a 1.6 when you could go for something much bigger?