ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

General purpose lense.

1 Series Coupe
Have had my 400d for a little while now and i have got used to using the camera and standard lense that it came with. I am now looking into getting a lense that is a little better?

Any help from the photography masters?

Ta
Matt

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
what difference to the oher lenses make?

obviously macro ones are for macro etc

refine your question a bit better....

bigger leses (higher mm number) give you the ability to zoom in more, or take pictures of things further away.

the lower the number (mm) the wider the angle so you can stand closer to things and get more of the surroundings in.

50mm is the equiv of what you see out of your eyes.

the smaller the F number the faster the lens, so a 50mm f2.8 will shoot better in darker locations where as a 50mm f8 would need a tripod as you would have to lower the shutterspeed to get the same image...

alot of the more expensive lenses have image stabilization or vibration reduction which allow you to go a stop lower than normal without the use of a tripod.

macro lenses are for close high detail work.
telephoto is big lenses for far away work.
wideangle is for getting more stuff in at close range...
fisheye gives you the curved stretched distorted images you see in skateboard mags etc.
you get fixed lenses that are just one mm setting i.e the nikon 50mm it only does 50mm.
you can get mirror reflex lenses which allow a high fixed zoom but more compact however they are normally pretty slow (around f8)

basically lenses that are big zoom with a f number like f2.8 are expensive well most lenses around f2.8 are expensive....

oh and macro lenses have different enlargement ratio's so 1:1 will be normal and 2:1 would be double and so on...

D

dick

whats your budget?
and what would you be using it for.

need to answer these before we can advise really.

as its all very well me saying a canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS L but thats a really large zoom that takes up a lot of space and its pushing 4 figures.

or also me saying the sigma 10-20 to take smashing UWA shots.
or wether you just want a step up in image quality over the kit lens covering a similar range.

and by the same token if you want a step up on a walkabout.... how much of a step up, and how, a bigger focal length? (more zoomed in) 17-85 canon maybe, altho its pretty s**t and overpriced IMO.- or better low light performance (canon 17-55 2,8 IS)
or wether were looking at sigma / tamrons.

personally? what id do, is buy a cheap 18-200mm sigma or something, find out what focal lengths you are using most, then get something that fits your use.
after 3 weeks you could even take it back to jessops for a full refund

Last edited by a moderator:
  1.2 Dynamique billabong
ive got a canon 28-135mm lens with image stabilizer and as a walk about lens its great as it gives you a bit of wide angle and some telephoto.
the quality isnt bad either

what difference to the oher lenses make?

obviously macro ones are for macro etc

refine your question a bit better....

bigger leses (higher mm number) give you the ability to zoom in more, or take pictures of things further away.

the lower the number (mm) the wider the angle so you can stand closer to things and get more of the surroundings in.

50mm is the equiv of what you see out of your eyes.

the smaller the F number the faster the lens, so a 50mm f2.8 will shoot better in darker locations where as a 50mm f8 would need a tripod as you would have to lower the shutterspeed to get the same image...

alot of the more expensive lenses have image stabilization or vibration reduction which allow you to go a stop lower than normal without the use of a tripod.

macro lenses are for close high detail work.
telephoto is big lenses for far away work.
wideangle is for getting more stuff in at close range...
fisheye gives you the curved stretched distorted images you see in skateboard mags etc.
you get fixed lenses that are just one mm setting i.e the nikon 50mm it only does 50mm.
you can get mirror reflex lenses which allow a high fixed zoom but more compact however they are normally pretty slow (around f8)

basically lenses that are big zoom with a f number like f2.8 are expensive well most lenses around f2.8 are expensive....

oh and macro lenses have different enlargement ratio's so 1:1 will be normal and 2:1 would be double and so on...
This should be a sticky lol