ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

getting wire to the head unit

if ur wanting to run new wire to your head unit. where do you get in behind the dash? do you have to drill a hole or is their a panel that comes off?

I assume you mean a live wire from the battery or wire from the engine bay. There is a gromet in the passenger footwell where the bonnet pull cable/alarm wires come through from the engine bay, there is plenty of room to run the cable through the gromet itself. I had to do this when I fitted my Alpine head unit (that was the easy part)

Stu

Sorry I didnt read your post properly, the panel above the head unit unclips (lock button/hazard switch/rear window heater panel) and allows easier access and helps when trying to stuff the head unit wires back in. You can just about get your hand up behind the heater controls from the passenger side footwell.

stu

actually i need to know something else. how do you actually get the wire in behind the head unit. say im installing rear speakers and run new cable for them. how do u get the wire into behind the head unit. i dont want to drill a hole if there is room already

Assuming that you have taken the head unit out of the dash, you can feed the wires up from the passenger footwell. If you lean into the passenger footwell from the passenger side and put your (left) hand up behind the centre of the dash and feel up towards the back of the head unit you will find there is about a 2inch gap big enought to fit cables through.(heater ducting prevents you being able get your hand right up there)

You then need to locate the speaker ISO block on the back of the head unit and connect your new speaker wires to there. The new wires can then be fed under the passenger side carpet and then to the rear of the car. (I wouldnt attempt to rewire the front door speakers)

I personally wouldnt bother messing around with new wires because ultimately your new speaker wire will still be connected to a short length of the standard wire from the ISO block, unless you intend to connect the new wire straight in to the existing ISO connector (quite tricky,) you are unlikely to experience any difference sound wise. If you havent had the head unit out yet, you will see what I mean when you do. For what its worth ld use/extend the existing speaker wires and leave the head unit alone unless you are going to replace that as well.

stu

good point. so just take the wire in the back door and lead it to the boot.
how do u recommend this, drill a small hole and just extend it?

There shouldnt be a need to drill anything as you will be able to feed the extended wires behind the trim panels to the rear of the car (they do lift up enough for you to slip the cables behind without having to remove them.