ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going back to teh iPhone 3G. Worth the hassle?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Dilemma time. Currently using a BB Bold 9700. And it's OKAY, I love Blackberry messenger, but the rest is "Meh".

I could, alter my contract (So it would be cheaper) and stick the Orange sim in my old 3G. However, the 3G is about 2 years old now, and for phonecalls i have to put people on handsfree/loudspeaker to hear them (earpiece is kaput).

Is it worth me going through the hassle of changing the contract over? Is the 3G too old to bother with nowadays?

Megane 225 F1
I'm trying desperatly to get rid of my 3G and get the iPhone 4. I hate it. It is so slow and just f**ked.

(I'm not trying to sell it to you by the way, just saying DON'T DO IT)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I don't find it slow tbh? Only turning the thing on seems to be slow. It's sped up since I restored it completely too.

Megane 225 F1
I have restored mine numerous times. Only have about 20 songs on it and like 4 apps and it still runs like a ball of s**t.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Hmm. Mine ran slow sometimes back when it was Jailbroken, had a load of apps, was FULL of photos etc. Now it seems to run okay. Jailbroken with Facebook, Foursquare, and Ping installed. Oh and a couple of Cydia apps.

It probably doesn't feel slow because you're used to that and nothing newer. I had to sort my boss' 3G for him last week and it annoyed me in the few minutes I had it. Super slow.

Hyundai i40
Im still using an old 3G it does what it needs too, sometimes throws a wobble at me and freezes but except for that its fine.

Its not JB tho

Megane 225 F1
It probably doesn't feel slow because you're used to that and nothing newer. I had to sort my boss' 3G for him last week and it annoyed me in the few minutes I had it. Super slow.

This. Have used a few mates 4's and even a few 3Gs' and it really annoys me going back to mine.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Probably right. I'd love a 4 but £500 is a wee bit steep for me. I'll probably get one as an Xmas present to me.

I just miss having an iPhone, you can do stuff like annoy people by checking into bed every night on facebook.

Hyundai i40
just use your 3g Jason, just dont play with any one elses 3gs or 4 in the mean time. my 3g is all i know and i find it fine

Probably right. I'd love a 4 but £500 is a wee bit steep for me. I'll probably get one as an Xmas present to me.

I just miss having an iPhone, you can do stuff like annoy people by checking into bed every night on facebook.

You can do this on BBs by going to touch.facebook.com and clicking places. Although please don't as I don't want my homepage spammed :(

iOS 4 bummed my old 3G into orbit. Everything took four or five seconds to load or, worse, they would just crash out. The phone was almost unusable.

I was just about to bin it and iOS 4.1 came out and un-bummed it quite miraculously. Its more or less as quick as it was on the last firmware now. I gave it to the mrs and shes quite happy with it.

If you use it anywhere near intensively, I would think twice about making it your regular phone again as its being slowly phased out in terms of new software and features. Its not going to be long before the 3G is almost entirely unsupported.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I'm currently running 3.1.3 Jailbroken and unlocked.

Don't see the point in having to pay for 4.1 then having to Jailbreak it AGAIN.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I assumed that last month when I updated the thing. Hence why I didn't go above 3.1.3. Didn't want to pay for 4 then find that the 3G can't handle it, or I can't unlock it for Orange!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Since when has my car had beige interior :S? Did someone change it over night?

Never above 25mpg
It's fine. Mine's been fine on 4.0.1 and 4.1

I'm sure it's noway near as fast as a 3GS or 4 but I haven't used one so have no comparison.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair Jason - you sound like you've got the patience of a Saint. The ONLY good thing about Blackberry's is the opportunity to use it with a BES server. As a day-to-day phone they are horrible to use - even setting them up for work users is enough for me. I think I'd be tipped over the edge having one on a daily basis!

That said, does it make much sense to drop back to a 3G? 3GS, yes - but probably not a 3G.

D.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Know exactly what you mean! The only reason I'm reluctant to give up the BB is I quite like BBM, few mates have it, it's a good little app. Other than that, pretty poor.

But as you say, surely a 3G is a bit of a downgrade now :/

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I got rid of my bold this time last year for a 3gs, best move ever.

As a business phone it was excellent, infact I would quite like one for work. But apart from BBM, as a personal 'social' phone they are shite. The lack of decent UK apps was the thing that toppled me over the edge with it.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I have ping. It's annoying how it made me create a new Ping ID For my BB though, couldn't use the one i'd already created.

But surely, a fully working BB is better than a slightly broke 3G? Or isn't it?

Oh, and previously on my Orange account online it displayed a best plan option, said it was available to me 'till november. But its disappeared now?