ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going from Sky TV to Virgin - Thoughts

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Find a friend that has sky, get them to subscribe to multi room, take the box and card to your house and bung them £15 a month. Try find a friend with full package ;)

If your on multiroom you need to keep the box's plugged in to the phone line, they do check them too!

SQ5
We've had customers threatened with fine before for not having plugged in, turned out to be a faulty modem so they ended up with a free TB box!

I've recently moved house and taken my multi room box, nothing through yet, although as long as its 12/18 months out of contract you don't need it connected

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
We've had customers threatened with fine before for not having plugged in, turned out to be a faulty modem so they ended up with a free TB box!

I've recently moved house and taken my multi room box, nothing through yet, although as long as its 12/18 months out of contract you don't need it connected

Needs to always be plugged in if your on multiroom, only doesn't have to be if your out of contract on single box.

I dont think its worth putting a friend in that position tbh. I know a few years ago they were quite keen on checking the multirooms, no idea how it is now.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Thank f**k for the changes to the PIN requirements for watching recordings, was irritating me and my mrs was getting really hacked off with it.

The VM branded version of the iPad app isn't going to be out until next year, however, with a little bit of effort you can actually get the US TiVo app to work.....and it takes it to a whole new level of awesome.

Really quick to navigate and play shows, schedule recordings. f**k using the remote now, iPad is the only way to go.

VM need to push TiVo to get the app out as quickly as possible, because it's absolutely brilliant.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Is there a guide?

I'm out at the moment, but:

If you go to cableforum and look the virginmedia section you'll see a thread that is about the iPad app.

I modified the script so that it makes it searches for your tivos and then creates the fake vm TiVo bonjour services, it works fine for me and others have it working fine. If my modifications don't work, earlier on in thread is the original script, but you'll have to enter ip addresses and tsn numbers manually into it.

Download and save the following pastebin to a folder as Zeroconf.py

http://pastebin.com/YYQsaF5z

Download and save to the same folder the following pastebin as vmtivo.py

http://pastebin.com/c2FSm3vR

Open a terminal and go to the folder and then type:

python vmtivo.py

You should see it find your tivos and then they should be be visible in the TiVo app. You'll see the real TiVo listed as well but it won't let you connect to it.

You need to keep the script running to keep the bonjour services being advertised.

Works fine on my MBP. If the script doesn't find the tivos, try running it again, the python zeroconf module seems flakey.

I'll knock up a cocoa app to do this which will not be flakey!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm out at the moment, but:

If you go to cableforum and look the virginmedia section you'll see a thread that is about the iPad app.

I modified the script so that it makes it searches for your tivos and then creates the fake vm TiVo bonjour services, it works fine for me and others have it working fine. If my modifications don't work, earlier on in thread is the original script, but you'll have to enter ip addresses and tsn numbers manually into it.

Download and save the following pastebin to a folder as Zeroconf.py

http://pastebin.com/YYQsaF5z

Download and save to the same folder the following pastebin as vmtivo.py

http://pastebin.com/c2FSm3vR

Open a terminal and go to the folder and then type:

python vmtivo.py

You should see it find your tivos and then they should be be visible in the TiVo app. You'll see the real TiVo listed as well but it won't let you connect to it.

You need to keep the script running to keep the bonjour services being advertised.

Works fine on my MBP. If the script doesn't find the tivos, try running it again, the python zeroconf module seems flakey.

I'll knock up a cocoa app to do this which will not be flakey!

For anybody interested, I wrote a real application that uses Apple's bonjour library and it seems to work a lot better, people seem to be having a lot more luck with it. If you want it, you can download it from here:

Mac: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24518476/bonjourvm-mac-binaries.dmg
Windows: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24518476/bonjourvm-win32-binaries.zip

Source code is here:

https://gitorious.org/bonjourvm

BlackGold 182
thinking of upgrading to this in my room at the moment as i bought a new television and want to make use of it,

with the tivo box, if your a virgin XL customer, how much extra a month is the sky sports and movies HD? Cant work it out on the website and as its my dads name i cant phone

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
New half price Sky HD gets installed today. Bloody bargain I must say!

Sell old box... jobs a good un!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
TiVo app has been updated (you'll need to switch stores to see the update) and it now supports getting the channel logos from the box and now searching now works without crashing the app.

182 ff
rang virgin up yesterday asking to leave he said how can we stop you i said i want a free tivo like all your new customers , he said ok lol and were install ur box from downstairs upstairs for no cost happy days !!

182 ff
all done and installed , already 10 times better than virgin plus box ( which is upstairs lol )
runs smoothly and makes some funky sounds so far lol

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
rang virgin up yesterday asking to leave he said how can we stop you i said i want a free tivo like all your new customers , he said ok lol and were install ur box from downstairs upstairs for no cost happy days !!

Just done the same:approve:. Get mine fitted on 1st of feb.
Virgin are also doubling the internet speeds everywhere for free over the next 18 months which should be good...

Listerine & Poledo
When it comes to mooching off other peoples subscriptions, just get a Slingbox.

plug it into a decent '+' box, and voila.... subject to having decent conenction speeds at both ends that is.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
tivo up and running now what the f**k is spotfly ??

You can stream music for free in essence but it gets saved to your music device so you can listen on the go.

My brother has it on his phone and it's epic, it also suggests music to you much like TiVo, we've found alot of new music through my bro's account.

If you have friends etc on it you can share music.

It's only a few years old but it's pretty massive now.

Have a little read up.

none :(
i must be the only one who thinks tivo is a big pile of s**t, slow responses, have series links to numerous programmes, set to record new only, yet i still end up with recordings that were first aired in 2009,2010.thinking of leaving virgin, due to the price hike, just trying to see if sky would be cheaper.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
i must be the only one who thinks tivo is a big pile of s**t, slow responses, have series links to numerous programmes, set to record new only, yet i still end up with recordings that were first aired in 2009,2010.thinking of leaving virgin, due to the price hike, just trying to see if sky would be cheaper.

If you give your recordings the thumbs down then it shouldn't record as much unwanted crap;).
I don't find mine too slow although it's not as fast as Sky.