ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good news and bad news.........

GR7

Shiny red R32

The good news is that I still have a lovely little black172, the bad news is that I wont be getting the V6 because it isnt full UK spec as was described to me the first time I went to see it.

Initially it was priced at £21,995 and I told the salesman I saw that day, that I had seen an advert for one at Motorpoint for only £18,995, which was £3,000 cheaper than his. I asked him if it was an import to which he replied "Yes, but it isnt your usual import, because it is a full UK spec and has everything a Renault dealer supplied V6 would have, whereas the Motorpoint cars are very basic etc etc"

About three weeks later I passed by the show room and noticed that the car had been reduced to £19,995 so I went in and saw a different sales guy who repeated what the other had said and I gave him a deposit of £500 to take it out of the show room.

After speaking to Jeremy who gave me a few questions to ask about this car, I found out that it isnt a UK spec at all, contrary to the guy running down Motorpoint! For a start it doesnt have the RAC Tracker, the windows are not etched with the chassis numbers, which all cars are these days, the type of alarm they fitted isnt classed as a Cat 1 according to my insurance company, there are no locking wheel nuts and I didnt bother to check anything else.

All Renaults now come with a three year warranty, and one year of this warranty has already expired as they have had the car sitting for a year, but the salesman told me that it only has one year, which is from when it is registered to me but I now know that it began when it left the country of origin.

First of all when I told them that I wanted to cancel, the guy said that I couldnt have my deposit back, because he had put things in motion so I rang the card company and told them to withhold payment, so they put my details into their dispute diary and that was no problem.

The major thing which concerned me was the lack of Tracker, which costs about £1,000 and should have been fitted to the car because of them saying it was full UK spec and becuase I was going to have to park it outside, and I explained that it wouldnt go down the slope to my garage, even though you guys had come up with solutions and ideas.

Anyway, I told the salesman that he had made a false representation about this car and that I was formally cancelling it and told him that I had contacted the card company. (It is always best to pay this sort of thing and holidays with a card, then if something goes wrong, you are covered by the card company, whereas cash could be lost).

The sales guy rang me late yesterday to say that he would make sure that it had a Cat 1 alarm fitted and would I still take it, to which I replied that I wouldnt, as it is the RAC Tracker that I need, and I reminded him that the company had led me to believe that it was better equipped than it actually was. I wouldnt have minded if they had knocked another £1,000 off it and given it a fresh three year warranty, but they wouldnt, so that is that.

I would like to thank the lovely Jeremy cool name Townsend for his help.

Thanks Jeremy.

http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/star.gifhttp://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/star.gifhttp://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/star.gifhttp://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/star.gifhttp://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/star.gif

There will be another come along soon!

You could even buy mine in September if you want, its in top nick and yes, i would let you take it for test drive first and yes ive just renewed my tracker so you would get the balance of that as well. What do ya think Sylv???

Renault Laguna Coupe

Sorry to hear that GR, but it sounds like you did the right thing. Im sure the next V6 will be along shortly!

Ad

MK2 FRS

Shame, but youve definitley done the right thing. They hould have been honest in the first place.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Thats exactly what I think, honesty is the best policy! They probably thought they had a stupid dumb blonde who would not have a clue, but they found out to their cost or rather loss (of a sale) that she wasnt as stupid after all.

Like you say, I am sure that another nice V6 will come along one of these days, but in the meantime I still have my lovely little 172. As I said in one of my many posts the other day that I felt very sad at the prospect of parting with him and I am just going out to give Jaques some TLC to make up his near departure.

:)

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

It isnt The Car better to keep the lovely Jacques than get a car that isnt right for you.

Good luck with the V6 search.

Lee

BMW M2C

Sorry to hear that GR. :( But it goes to show it pays to do your research, and not trust what a car salesman says!!:)

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Good research GR. Its unusually nice for a female to get one up on a car salesman! lol

GR7

Shiny red R32

I think that the consumer programmes on the television, like Watchdog, and complaints articles in car magazines help to give you confidence in challenging these salesmen, who all seem to have been to the same training schools for fibbers.

Also, dont ever let them tell you to take the new car home, saying that they will sort problems out later, because every time you try to contact them they are with a customer on a test drive in a meeting or it is his day off and well have him return your call, which of course they rarely do!

Not being picky here girl racer, but where on earth did you get a price of £1000 for RAC Trackstar. Ive just recently purchased it from GAP security, and it cost me £450 all in, inc vat and fitment.

By getting the car that cheap in the 1st place i would have accepted the offer and got it fitted myself. as for numbers on the glass, and locking wheel nuts, thats just being so so picky, You could buy locking wheel nuts for around a tenner, and im sure you can get the glass stamped for about the same.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 20 July 2003

Not being picky here girl racer, but where on earth did you get a price of £1000 for RAC Trackstar. Ive just recently purchased it from GAP security, and it cost me £450 all in, inc vat and fitment.

By getting the car that cheap in the 1st place i would have accepted the offer and got it fitted myself. as for numbers on the glass, and locking wheel nuts, thats just being so so picky, You could buy locking wheel nuts for around a tenner, and im sure you can get the glass stamped for about the same.
Some people may agree, however when you are deciding on a major purchase like that, you need to be completely happy with your decision, and if its not what you want then dont do it.

Also you have to remember if they are deceaving you on that, what else may they be decieving you on. I wouldnt have done the deal.

Personally I would wait a few months for the new V6 to start hitting the roads. It will either push up the price of the old v6s (because people will have to wait for the new ones) or push the prices down. Its a gamble, but if it works, it will pay off.

Paul

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Mitchy - MGZR 180? I thought they were 160, with the MGZS being 180. Have you had some work done on it?

I think GR made the right decision.

Had it uprated by 20bhp yes, RR it to prove it.

Because of the vvc engine i cant really take it any further, another 10bhp would be fine but anything after the 190bhp mark, the vvc would need some serious work, Getting a 4-2-1 system manifold, sports cat, and BB so should see the 190mark, im just waiting on the parts coming into the country and im 100% positive shell be kicking out 190ish after that.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Mitchy

Have you got a very basic Tracker with yours being so cheap? Have you included the suscription, which annually on its own is £180!!

I had since enquired about the RAC Tracker and the cost I was quoted including emergency breakdown response was £699 plus the subscription for the duration is £500 making a total of £1,199 - or without emergency breakdown response £599 plus the subscription for the duration which would be £325, a total of £924, so for £450 you have done very well!

I spoke to someone at Renault who told me that the cost fitted would be £1,000

Regarding the etching and locking wheel nuts and the supposed to be Cat 1 alarm, I DONT LIKE BEING LIED TO, AS I WAS TOLD THAT THIS CAR WAS A FULL UK SPEC MODEL, so I expected it to be just that.

They also told me that the warranty wouldnt begin until the car was registered in my name, which was rubbish, as the warranty begins when the car leaves the country of origin. The car has been sitting there for a year, so that is one year gone already. They couldnt even make their mind up about which country the car had come from. If it was from Cyprus there would be no warranty in the UK at all.

As someone else said, " I wonder what else I was deceived about"

I pay my money and I take my choice!! My choice was to leave this car.

S2000

GR,

So that car has been sitting on the forcourt for over a year and is not UK spec. Hmm, that is a major bargaining chip for someone wanting to buy that car. Id be tempted to go into the showroom and say to him "£18 grand cash and Ill take it off your hands now!". Wonder what the reaction would be, thats a helll of a time for it to be sitting in his showroom!

P.S. sorry about the loss(well almost loss)!

Paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

He reckons that he paid £24,000 for it over a year ago and wont drop it any more and one of the alloys is damaged too. He also said he will easily sell it when people realise that there will be a wait for the Mk2. Personally I think that if someone wants a Mk2 they will wait for a Mk2, particularly with all the modifications having been made to it and especially after hearing people like Jeremy and Tiff raving about it and putting down the Mk1 in comparison.

Not sure if it is good for a car to be sitting all that time! I will stick with my 172 for the time being.

I was told by my dealer that mk2 production starts oct for dec delivery for uk cars

not sure if this is true or not. also he wouldnt budge at all on the 27k list price as built to order.

jamjar have the new v6 listed at 24765. so Im sure you could get a dealer to match this

GR7

Shiny red R32

Renault sponsor a friend of ours who races in the Superbikes and Stuart who works for Renault and goes to the races with the team says that he can get at least 20% discount on Clios EXCEPT FOR THE V6, because I have already asked him. If a Renault employee cant get a discount Im sure that dealers wont give discount either!

:(

Elise/VX220/R26

There should be a shedload of good mk1 v6s kicking about from anytime now as the mk2 come out tomorrow I think.

GR7

Shiny red R32

I think that you can order the car from tomorrow jonnyboy, unless I am mistaken.

GirlRacer

£450 for the trackstar unit, and £325 for monitoring fee. So £775 altogether!!!!

Do the uk cliov6 come with these standard, i mean the monitoring fee aswell??

GR7

Shiny red R32

Yes the V6 with UK spec comes with the RAC Tracker as standard and at least the first years monitoring, and I think that Jeremy Townsend will be able to let us know the correct details of this tomorrow if he looks in.

Dont forget the cost of installation Mitchy. Yours obviously doesnt have the emergency breakdown response so is cheaper just as your monitoring is as well.

Shame to hear that GR. At least you used the card, which also saved my bacon when the 2.0 Williams bottom end deal fell through.

GirlRacer, i know where there is one of these mk1s for this much if your interested? ;)

Also available Renault Clio V6

very rare Blue metallic, 1800 careful miles by one owner. Uk supplied, tracker, 2 years remaining Renault warranty ,unmarked and immaculate example

Price: £21995

Tony:D

Mitchy, G*P security fitted your tracker?!!!

Theres the reason its so cheap as most people dont go anywhere near that company for many reasons (plus my trackstar cost me virtually 1k, lifetime subscription and 32 quid per year for the warranty renewal).

I dont pay the 23 quid per month you will be (so over 2 years it works out your paying 500 quid on top of your price already).

Tony

By getting the car that cheap in the 1st place i would have accepted the offer and got it fitted myself.
Trade-sales in Slough were selling the V6 (brand new) a year ago for £20 grand. So If it was a NON-UK spec she wanted, Im sure shed have gone there. At least the warranty deal would have been better.

Sorry to hear this GR, but I think youve done the right thing, doubt the slimey b*stards will learn from it though, theyre born to deceive.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 22 July 2003

Mitchy, G*P security fitted your tracker?!!!

Theres the reason its so cheap as most people dont go anywhere near that company for many reasons (plus my trackstar cost me virtually 1k, lifetime subscription and 32 quid per year for the warranty renewal).

I dont pay the 23 quid per month you will be (so over 2 years it works out your paying 500 quid on top of your price already).

Tony

Thank you Tony - very often YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

I think I had a lucky escape, the salesman couldnt even agree where the car came from!! Too much conflicting information about this car, it also seemed pretty strange too, that it had been sitting for a year unsold.

I received the credit card slip this morning through the post, showing the deposit refund and the sales guy reckons that after putting an advert in the Sunday Times he has now sold it.

END OF STORY!!

:eek:

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 22 July 2003

GirlRacer, i know where there is one of these mk1s for this much if your interested? ;)

Also available Renault Clio V6

very rare Blue metallic, 1800 careful miles by one owner. Uk supplied, tracker, 2 years remaining Renault warranty ,unmarked and immaculate example

Price: £21995

Tony:D

Tony

Thanks for that, but this car has been for sale for ABSOLUTELY AGES, I downloaded that same picture several months ago when I first thought about wanting one. I e-mailed the guy selling it and he told me that there were only eight of these illyad blues in the UK and about the same time I was at the SECC to watch the Fame Academy show and I waited for a guy to park a blue V6 like that so that I could ask him about his car (my friends walked away and left me)!! and he also told me that there were only eight blue ones.

At the time I though "what a coincidence", I even wondered if it was the same car, but I think the advertised one was in Bolton or Wigan or somewhere similar and wouldnt have been in Glasgow.

GR, just to let you know that the annual subscription with my trackstar is/was (i renewed last month) £120. Not sure where you got the £180 from??

GR7

Shiny red R32

Straight from the horses mouth !!

Apparently it is £180 annually with Emergency and Breakdown Call or £120 without it.

Clio v6

When I got my old V6 I paid an extra £195 to cover the car as long as I was the owner. It worked out cheaper as I intended to keep the car for at least 3 years. It was £190 to renew it back then.

I was hessitant at first, thinking it was just a ploy to get more cash out of me. My V6 will soon have a new owner where it can be properly garaged ( I have moved house :( )

Edited as I have just looked and it was £195 for the lifetime cover.