ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

good wiring

Vantage
I have connected my 6x9's to a amp using some basic wiring... I wanted to get some stronger wire that lets trough better/stronger sound quality; anyone got any ideas which wiring I should get?

1.2 Clio
Wouldn't worry about wiring unless your using 32gauge and your putting 100watts into them . If they're running of a headunit, not amped. Then your taking no difference from thin stuff to 8guage....

Mk2 172
Wouldn't worry about wiring unless your using 32gauge and your putting 100watts into them . If they're running of a headunit, not amped. Then your taking no difference from thin stuff to 8guage....

What the hell has wattage got to do with speaker cable???
Better speaker cable will give a better sound.
Size of the cable isnt always important either but the white crap u get with the speakers is very poor and is DEFINATELY worth replacing with something better.

Vantage
Size of the cable isnt always important either but the white crap u get with the speakers is very poor and is DEFINATELY worth replacing with something better.

o'right any ideas of any wiring kits?

1.2 Clio
Wattage is proportional to current drawn through it for a given ohmage.
A decent HU wil push out about 18w rms. Into a 4 ohm load will give 2.12 amps. At 8.5 volts. I very much doubt this rms figure is met, yet the standard white cabling you're on about will more than suffice the load of that 2.12 amps.
and thats how wattage is comparable to speaker cable. Better of removing the 6 x 9's all together TBH if you want better sound, unless you understand sound staging fully, and have a brilliant front end, in which case, you woudln't be asking questions about speaker cables!

I've since read the amp bit.... what amplfiier is it??? Do you have any RMS figures?

No not really. Like it has been said if your using a headunit amp standard wire will be fine. If you are amping it then there will be more power going through the wire and you might have to upgrade. at the end of the day its up to you though.

Mk2 172
A decent HU wil push out about 18w rms. Into a 4 ohm load will give 2.12 amps. At 8.5 volts. I very much doubt this rms figure is met, yet the standard white cabling you're on about will more than suffice the load of that 2.12 amps.
and thats how wattage is comparable to speaker cable. Better of removing the 6 x 9's all together TBH if you want better sound, unless you understand sound staging fully, and have a brilliant front end, in which case, you woudln't be asking questions about speaker cables!

I've since read the amp bit.... what amplfiier is it??? Do you have any RMS figures?

The rms of the amp has sod all to do with speaker cable size!!!

Mk2 172

Yes but its crap cable. End of!! Better cable equals better sound.
I do it for a living. Yes different cables can give different sound eg: silver plated chord cable we use sounds quite bright but anything is better than that free crap.

vaux cavalier
Interesting opinions here on the pro's & cons of uprated speaker cable....

Some will argue that copper is copper so no difference should be apparent, some will argue it's all down to number of strands, some will state OFC has no benefits, I personally would opt for OFC every time with a high strand count....

With regards amplifier output wattage having no bearing on speaker cable size;

Interesting theory, are you saying your company use similar sized cables whether feeding 50w rms to tweeters or 2.5Kw rms to a sub ???