ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gps

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
On a phone sat nav i take it?
Not thinking of GPRS are you?

172 cup'd extreme
N95 tries to connect when you start the maps up - all you do it set it to connect via wifi etc and it wont try and use your 3G/GPRS etc then.

i kno that, just a fella at the phone shop said ill need to pay to connect to gps ( GLOBAL POSITIONING SATALITES!)

odd job says: RTFM!!

oddjob.jpg

Fiat Panda 100hp
Yer you need to pay to use the sat nav on the n95. You can download the maps from the nokia website, then you are still required to pay a subscriotion, you can buy it in weeks months years etc. cost £5 for the week I think.

Yer you need to pay to use the sat nav on the n95. You can download the maps from the nokia website, then you are still required to pay a subscriotion, you can buy it in weeks months years etc. cost £5 for the week I think.

Wrong. You can use the satnav all you wish for free.You only have to pay if you want the voice navigation. GPS positioning, onscreen directions and the maps are all free.

GPS and GPRS are totally separate things. The N95 has a GPS receiver built in, just like a tomtom or something like that, which enables it to connect to the satellites, for free. Nothing to do with GPRS.

If you download the maps from your phone it will cost you because your using GPRS to connect the the internet and download them BUT you can also download them to your PC for free and put them on a memory card that way.

Once you've got it all installed you can subscribe to voice navigation which costs £5 a month,or you can just use on-screen navigation for free.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
im right in saying it doesnt cost to conect to?

GPS is free becuase its run by the US army. If it was british.. you just know they would find a way to charge you.... The europeans dont seem to want to rely on something the US army can switch off on a whim so there is a european version called galleleo which should be comming online soon though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Gps cost nothing, your paying for the maps to use the gps as a sat nav.

Expert HDI & R53
On the n95 its the licence you have to pay for. You choose how long that you want it for i.e week,month,year or 3 years.

But if you intall tom tom mobile you dont have to pay nothing.

All you need is a bluetooth gps reciver.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
you dont have to pay to use sat nav on the n95.

if you download MAPS from nokia website, it doesnt connect using gprs, only gps, like any other sat nav.

172 Cup
im right in saying it doesnt cost to conect to?

GPS is free becuase its run by the US army. If it was british.. you just know they would find a way to charge you.... The europeans dont seem to want to rely on something the US army can switch off on a whim so there is a european version called galleleo which should be comming online soon though.

A, It's "operated" by the USAF not the Army and B, It's "funded" internationally.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Which division of the US military is a moot point. The US have control over it and they can switch it off if and when they want. They tend to use localized GPS blackouts for the civilian GPS during conflicts though.

Hence the European Galileo system to rival the US and Russian versions.

Fabia vRS
my n95 connects via gprs and uses triangulation to speed up the process of getting a lock on gps satallites. so yes it does cost a very minimal amount for me to use my gps, and i use route66 on my n95 with the internal gps reciever.

172 Cup
Which division of the US military is a moot point. The US have control over it and they can switch it off if and when they want. They tend to use localized GPS blackouts for the civilian GPS during conflicts though.

Hence the European Galileo system to rival the US and Russian versions.

As I understand it the Galileo "project" was originally proposed by Europe but is now supported by a wide variety if countries including China (who dropped their own system iirc).