ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

green light for changing gear...

glanza
is that little green light telling you when to change gear set for optimum performance? will this change if any mods are done to the car or whats the score yall???

172 Cup
It's a "you should have changed gear already" light. It's not there to indicate the optimum shift point.

LY 182
no,, thats a "change gear before something goes bang you t**t" light

not optimum change point

glanza
haha thought so. a friend who has a 172 told me it was when to change gear his engine must be fooked lmao thank f**k i aint been doin that

vers le haut doigt milieu
The light goes orange on diagontics, I wish I could make it go from green to orange when it passes optimum.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
I actually redlined my car once just to see if the green light actually came on...

it did :(

53 Clio's & counting
So, when is the optimum? And when does the light come on?

Changes from car to car mate, even two standard engines can have different peak power points

as a very rough guide i would say around 6800 for the 1st 3 gears, then a lil lower for 4th

but then again mines different and seems to hold on for longer and seems to still pull higher than that, every lumps different. i found changing at just over 7k gets me my best 0-60 time (6.48 secs) but if i change at 6.5k that drops to around 6.8 ish but runs a faster q/mile.

Writen off dci 100
the 'shift light' comes on a few hundred revs before the limiter kicks in as mine changes with the ecu when the car warms up

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
the 'shift light' comes on a few hundred revs before the limiter kicks in as mine changes with the ecu when the car warms up

Yeah, it's there to protect the engine and components.

It sometimes catches me unawares, I'd floor it and then glance down to see the revs just in time to see the shift light. Ooops! :eek:

I wonder what speed it is in 5th. I never looked at the speedo. Was too concerned about sheep running across the private runway I was driving on.

140mph ?

138mph would be about right, I imagine the speedo was at about 145mph. The new focus st I was against started pulling away from me just before the light came on so I presume they can go faster. But they're no faster up till that speed.

Have to get on the runway again somewhen, with my sat nav on so I can check gps.

RB 182 cup
i swear mine goes green then turns orange when u keep going. i know for a fact that ive seen it orange

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
197 shift lights ftw!!! You can actually see this one, not like in a mk2 Clio ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
haha thought so. a friend who has a 172 told me it was when to change gear his engine must be fooked lmao thank f**k i aint been doin that

Is this the - my mate has an ugly bird but she really goes sindrome - meaning yourself??? :rasp:

I know everyone is saying its a "shift now or else you're buggered light"

BUT....

I've got a 172 brochure in front of me and in the features section it says.... and i quote, "OPTIMUM GEAR SHIFT INDICATOR".

Just to confuse matters.....

1998 BMW e46 323i
Scan the brochure lad and host it somewhere like putfile or the like,.. I'd be interested in seeing the original shizzle from Reno.

Burgandy 174 sport t
172ONTHELIMITER.jpg

In 5th!