ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide To Rig Photography

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Right, hope all is well. Now one thing most photographers always wonder, I did myself is how people take motion shots from extreme angles or what type of rig they use to actually go about doing it. Hopefully this insight will show you, without use of Photoshop to add the blur. Most rig photographers are very reluctant to supply information on how they do it. Here is a just a general guide.

First of all, you need a car rig of some sort. Now there are thousands of variations on this ranging from a 6ft pole with a magnetic base to mount on the undercarriage of a car or a suction based system positioned on the bodywork. Some can be bought, others purchased.

Here is mine - The Pro Mount SM8 kit via Fast Films
img1146mediumba2.jpg

As you can see, its a pre-built rig and then just gets put together on a car via suction cups.

Stage one
Decide on where you want to take the photo from and take a test shot or two. Make sure it is an obtainable photo. After all, you do not want to damage your camera in any way.

LAW_2871.jpg

Position the camera once complete and take another shot or two. Adjust accordingly.

Stage 2
Set your camera up. You want a nice and slow shutter so lower the ISO as much as possible, use a small aperture so something like f/16 or f/22 if it is real sunny or use filters such as a ND8 filter. Your aim is for a slow enough shutter speed so anything like 1/10 to 30 seconds maybe suitable.

Remember, at 1/10 the driver may need to drive a bit quick. 10mph should be suitable. Make sure you give the driver instructions eg maintain a full lock, go on my signal etc. Remember, you will be in control for this.

Longer shutter speeds such as 10 seconds allow the driver to move slower so you can keep up and also minimise any vibrations or shake.

Stage 3
Set the camera up on a self timer or if you have a wireless remote, set the camera to burst mode, get the driver to start and capture away. Try about 5-10 photos for each rig shot as the will be a result of some sort of camera shake due to surfaces.

Once done, you should have a simple yet clean result.
8.jpg

This was a simple setup but remember, more complex setups may require additional edits later.

Such as this type of setup
DSC_0067.jpg

Before motion shot was taken
img1294mediumuk7.jpg

During the shot
img1293mediumpd6.jpg

The sharpness and the front bumper is extracted from the first photo as too much of the suction cup makes it difficult to simply clone out.

Finished verson - [LINK]

Remember, this is only a guide and not responsible for your camera or car. :p I am still learning so any extra information or experiences are more than welcome.

Oil Burner
Very impressive, ive seen your work elsewhere, i just cant place it.

Sensor could do with a clean, but then at f20 i think most peoples would look like that.

you really don't want to go longer than a couple of seconds. you still want to keep the background without making it just a blur. Problem with close in rigs like that is you have to use an UWA lens to get the whole car in which distorts the car

Ian

Focus TDCi
People tend to want the distorted look though, it looks better on their wall/website. I agree it's not to everyone's taste, but it certainly adds a different dimension to the shot.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol you are stubborn dude. Yeah I agree the professional sites may well want a correct perspective, but you post a uwa shot on here and people will go nuts for it. I know if well done a photo with the correct perspective will look just as good, or even better, but when you have so many average-at-best examples on here, the distorted photos stand out more. I think we're arguing the same point though so I'll leave it at that. :)

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
wow!

always wondered though how you clone out the suction cups
All via photoshop. I mean it depends on the rig. Some rigs are just poles which run under the car so different process of cloning.
great guide!! anymore hi res pics.... love it
I do.

1200x800 vers
Very impressive, ive seen your work elsewhere, i just cant place it.

Sensor could do with a clean, but then at f20 i think most peoples would look like that.
Possibly one of the others forums. I've been round a bit. :quiet:
you really don't want to go longer than a couple of seconds. you still want to keep the background without making it just a blur. Problem with close in rigs like that is you have to use an UWA lens to get the whole car in which distorts the car

I've never met anyone that liked to see their car distorted and the mags I work for like correct perspective.

I think this just needs some clearing up since clearly my work has caused some offence. This is a guide so there is no point being a critic over it.

My rig is not long enough for a normal lens so I use a UWA, have I ever got the same shot as someone else with it? Never. Your own photography should be original. I personally have no issues that you do not like it since it was my photo to begin with.

It doesnt bother me that I am not following the right lines where the car is not straight or the front quarter is distorted, its something different. The car owner loved it, BMW loved it, the committee of Photography on the net love it and is being printed as part of their new coffee table book beating of a potential 180,000 other members.

Personally I did not think your comments were justified to my topic now (whilst I know I cannot stop you from posting). Im just trying to make a contribution, I cant see how or why its caused you some sort of offence.

Saying that, I just found your Flickr, odd that you preach to me about using a UWA but I see you using 10mm on a shot.....http://www.flickr.com/photos/quantumcapture/370728250/meta/

Bit odd that. I think from now on, you shall be ignore.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Lol you are stubborn dude. Yeah I agree the professional sites may well want a correct perspective, but you post a uwa shot on here and people will go nuts for it. I know if well done a photo with the correct perspective will look just as good, or even better, but when you have so many average-at-best examples on here, the distorted photos stand out more. I think we're arguing the same point though so I'll leave it at that. :)

I think you can leave it as is. Seems like someone doesnt like my guide or work.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
That rig looks incredibly hard to PS out! And I would know, I used to have one with the same design, Ive since upgraded mine though.
Agreed! I did hit a big barrier when I figured out that how difficult some clone situations would be but I have figured something out. I have a second mount which I can clamp to a tripod. Remove the rig with the camera clamped and just take a stationary shot. then just blend the two shots together.

I have to try it.

02' PH1 172
awesome guide man. i really like your shots aswel. any links to where this rig can be purchased?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Very good indeed. Nice work and guide.
Thanks.
awesome guide man. i really like your shots aswel. any links to where this rig can be purchased?

Judging by the information in his first post I think it must be this one dude: http://www.fastfilms.co.uk/camera-suction-mounts.php

Edit: Oh and the fact that they've used his photos as well lol.
Spot on. I was a bit worried about weight but the guys were very helpful. Was happy with results so provided them to use,

1.2 Dynamique billabong
nice thread, ive started dabbling with automotive rigs recently, these are some shots from the weekend, which arent too bad seeing as its only my third ever time of using my rig, and the fact the rig is a DIY one i made rather then spending £££'s
only problem was that i couldnt stop it down enough as it was too sunny so next on my shopping list with be some ND filters.
what lens are you using buddy a sigma 10-20mm

meg1web.jpg

meg2web.jpg

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
I use the Sigma 12-24. Sadly the 10-20mm wouldnt be a lens I can use. What you would be better off with is a 8 stop grad rather than ND grads to slow the shutter slowed down.

RS Megane DCi 175
Smaaallllll bump! Nice guide there and some useful links Teshi!
Jus thought I'd bump this thread as I'm making my own rig - although, am trying to do an under car one rather than the suction cup type ones.
i.e.:
large12.jpg

Anybody have any DIY type links for one similar?

Didn't think these would be so expensive to buy!

Ive just finished making my new rig (revision 3!), and basically it's a copy of the one in the photo above, but it didnt cost me £500+!!

I cant provide any links, but tbh it's pretty simple.

Alu pole
Steel cable
Pivot
Lots of jubilee clips
Clamps to bolt it to underside of car :)

RS Megane DCi 175
Any pics matey? Need some ideas, how does the steel cable help?
Also - how do people trigger the camera? Ir remote?

Only got pics of the clamps at the moment, but it is VERY similar to the one above.

DSC_0058.jpg

The cable is what holds the two poles joined at the pivot, and determines the angle (you can see it on the pic you posted)

I used to use IR on my D70s, but I sold that, and my D200 doesnt have that function :(

But as Im always concerned about the welfare of my precious camera (;)) I always walk along side the rig and just take the photos as normal (with someone else driving)

RS Megane DCi 175
Nice work that mate, understand what you meant now.
How easy is it to swap to different cars? Those bolts must make it a little harder to swap over?

This design will take longer to set-up for each shot, but thats a small price to pay for the better photos I should be able to get with it!!

Im taking it for a test friday night in a multistorey carpark (as the weather is looking crap :() so I'll have a play then :)

Oil Burner
i might sound stupid, but what is stopping the grub screw type arrangement your using slipping down the sill? Is it ridged on the other side? Or are the grub screws/bolts pointed?

1.2 Dynamique billabong
This design will take longer to set-up for each shot, but thats a small price to pay for the better photos I should be able to get with it!!

Im taking it for a test friday night in a multistorey carpark (as the weather is looking crap :() so I'll have a play then :)

that is awesome mate, glad to see my idea with the girder clamps worked ok, what is the hexagon bit used to join them i have been trying to find something similar. please can you pm me links for the bits. cant wait too see this in action

cheers
James

i might sound stupid, but what is stopping the grub screw type arrangement your using slipping down the sill? Is it ridged on the other side? Or are the grub screws/bolts pointed?

No not a silly question. Tbh I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw the idea! BUT I have tried it out quite a bit over the past few evenings to make sure it is stable, and the fact is that they just hold fine lol!
No problems at all so far!

that is awesome mate, glad to see my idea with the girder clamps worked ok, what is the hexagon bit used to join them i have been trying to find something similar. please can you pm me links for the bits. cant wait too see this in action

cheers
James

umm....if Im honest.....I bought the automotiverigs.com pinch rail kit.
But I bought it second hand, so got a good deal. Tbh, I couldnt be assed with trying to find all the bits and make it work etc..

I may as well post this up now as I'll get asked when I post up the first pics from it :)

DSC_0966.jpg

ITS HUUUUUUUGE!!

RS Megane DCi 175
^^^ THAT's what I'm lookin for! Where did u find that lil gem for sale second hand? - if u don't mind me askin that is!
I've been keepin an eye on the bay for anythin similar - nothings come up!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
ah ok no worries was gonna say would have been a massive effort to source it all, how much did you manage to pick it up for if you dont mind me asking

Matt, I only bought the pinch kit, everything else was designed and made by me :)

This is it:

pinch_solo.jpg

I got it for $100 shipped from a photographer I know of from the states :)

Not bad considering it costs $135 new, and they wanted $115 for delivery to the UK!!! Fuk that!!

Hope that helps :)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
thats not too bad actually, how did you go about making the right angle bit, i assume its adjustable and you can lock it at different angles.

cheers
james

I assume you mean the pivot part that the two poles connect to.

If so, it does lock yes, but that would be no where near strong enough to hold the pole up on its own. The main part responsible for that is he cable that joins the two poles.

The photo above shows it at its longest setting, with 4m of pole coming from the pivot. Tbh, I wouldnt use it much at that distance because it is quite far from the car lol! I will probably use it at its 3m setting, which is still quite a bit futher from the car than I had previously....so Im extremely happy with the setup so far, and I cant wait for tomorrow eveing for its first test run!
It is remarkably sturdy despite the look of it lol!
I got home to test it with the vision of having all sorts of problems, but I didnt have a single one! The clamp holds the entire rig with no problems.....so far!

A4 Avant
Is there much flex in the tube that sits up at an angle? What kinda Dia and wall thickness is it?

Looks good for a DIY job!

A little but nothing unbearable.
The most flex occurs on the pole that runs underneath the car, as it flexes between the two clamping points, but I have a proper pikey solution to that.....stick a bit of wood between the pole and the underside of the car, then the pole cant flex upwards!

All of the pole is 2" diameter, wall thickness is 16SWG (1.6mm). I could have gone for thicker walls, but then of course it would be heavier!

A4 Avant
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I may rig something up from bits at work.

I suppose it's a trade off for stiffness to weight. Good pikey work around though!