ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gummy substance on interior plastic?

I have just bought a Ph1 172 and both of the silver cloured plastic door pulls in the door cards have a yellowy gummy substance all over them which is sticky to touch.

It looks like the kind of residue that you are left with after removing a decal/sticker but it covers the whole surface so unlikely to be anything like that.

I can scrape the gum with my finger nail and I have tried all sorts to soften and wipe it cleam but no joy.

It looks like it neds some kind of solvent to dissolve it; can anyone recommend a cleaner that would do the job without affecting the plastic/painted surface please?

I have tried 'Goo Gone' 'Rubbing alcohol' and various all purpose cleaners, it can be softened a bit but still not wiped clean.

Thanks in advance

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Could've been wrapped and removed.

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is industrial cleaning alcohol, that's stronger than hand sanitiser. I'd recommend using that or a tar and glue remover like tardis

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Really? I don't know but I doubt it. They're not stained or discoloured, it's like someone had sprayed an adhesive all over them.
gonna have a go with Tardis when I get my hands on some.

Yeah a lot of people paint them. its like a textured paint they put on.

Yeah a lot of people paint them. its like a textured paint they put on.

No the silver paint is in tact underneath; this stuff is like something over the top of the paint, not like laquer as that would crack an peel, this stuff can be scraped with a finger nail leaving the paint unmarked, I can only describe it as gummy.
I think a solvent will remove it, not had any luck so far but I'm hoping Tardis will be my saviour, also hoping it wont remove the silver colour!

Then again, perhaps it is a standard finish and this is on par with the mysterious melting steering wheels that Renault refuse to acknowledge!!

Last edited:
No the silver paint is in tact underneath; this stuff is like something over the top of the paint, not like laquer as that would crack an peel, this stuff can be scraped with a finger nail leaving the paint unmarked, I can only describe it as gummy.
I think a solvent will remove it, not had any luck so far but I'm hoping Tardis will be my saviour, also hoping it wont remove the silver colour!

Then again, perhaps it is a standard finish and this is on par with the mysterious melting steering wheels that Renault refuse to acknowledge!!

Yup that 100% describes mine too, Mine were fine when I got the car but look really grubby now. I dont smoke or have grubby hands either.

I still think its some sort of lacquer problem I know it has not cracked but seems to have melted gone soft with age? I think part of my dash has started to go the same way.

Yup that 100% describes mine too, Mine were fine when I got the car but look really grubby now. I dont smoke or have grubby hands either.

I still think its some sort of lacquer problem I know it has not cracked but seems to have melted gone soft with age? I think part of my dash has started to go the same way.

That's interesting, so it probably is a deteriorating standard finish. Hopefully a solvent will remove it without too much drama. If the Tardis works I'll report back.

That's interesting, so it probably is a deteriorating standard finish. Hopefully a solvent will remove it without too much drama. If the Tardis works I'll report back.

Quick update..Tardis didn't shift the substance so I guess it is the result of a deteriorating laquer!
Need to sand and repaint I guess

Last edited: