ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake handle suddenly lifted

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just pulled onto my drive and pulled the handbrake and it shot past where it usually goes to and ended up almost vertical. I've got quite a steep driveway and the car seems pretty solid, no creaking or anything when I bounced up and down in the seat, but I've left it in gear just in case.

What could be the cause of this? I would assume if the cable snapped then the handbrake would be inoperable, but it seems fine, just really high all of a sudden 🤔

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Haha, yes better safe than sorry. Now its safely chocked, have a look at the rear calipers and see if the cable is loose on either side.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You might as well get both of them changed at the same time. It's sods law you'll change one and the other will snap.
I just took mine to a local garage and they changed mine.
Getting the right ones can be a bit tricky.
Offside cable.
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/e...=174019&pm=1&ds=0&t=1621445638818&cspheader=1

Nearside cable.
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/e...9&pm=1&ds=0&t=1619810320000&ver=0&cspheader=1
I'll give the garage up the road from me a bell next week, I feel like I owe them some money after they did some work on my girlfriend's car for free lol

Is there a reason why the cables are different brands for each side?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'll give the garage up the road from me a bell next week, I feel like I owe them some money after they did some work on my girlfriend's car for free lol

Is there a reason why the cables are different brands for each side?
They are the correct length. Lots of people buy from places like ECP and they're the wrong length. That's the only reason for the different brands.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Check the caliper handbrake arm, often the cable snaps because the arm on the caliper is basically seized. This is what happened on mine. Ended up with two new rear calipers and two new cables, ended up just buying the cables from Renault which was expensive but everything worked properly.

If it is also the calipers don't buy the eBay £100 a pair calipers because they are dog shite, eventually I got calipers with the correct piston diameters via auto doc.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Check the caliper handbrake arm, often the cable snaps because the arm on the caliper is basically seized. This is what happened on mine. Ended up with two new rear calipers and two new cables, ended up just buying the cables from Renault which was expensive but everything worked properly.

If it is also the calipers don't buy the eBay £100 a pair calipers because they are dog shite, eventually I got calipers with the correct piston diameters via auto doc.
Funnily enough it's actually the caliper I replaced about 6 months ago so I don't think it will have seized this quickly. I'll give it a tug and make sure though

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

I got my rear replacement calipers from Autodoc too. They've been spot on. 👍

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well I'll be buggered, the arm is just a big lump of rust. Anyone got a link for a decent rear right caliper? There's thousands to choose from on Autodoc 🧐

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Well I'll be buggered, the arm is just a big lump of rust. Anyone got a link for a decent rear right caliper? There's thousands to choose from on Autodoc 🧐

Right rear.
https://m.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/8100052

Left rear.
https://m.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/8100063

I don't know why there's such a big difference in price for the same brake caliper but opposite sides. Autodoc seems to be like that for some reason 🤔
I just noticed the left rear is out of stock, maybe that's why there's a price difference?

Last edited:

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I just noticed the left rear is out of stock
That's showing as in stock for me, it's the right rear that's unavailable. I did have a quick Google and it's the same price on a number of different sites, all of which predictably lead back to Autodoc where it's out of stock 😂

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
That's showing as in stock for me, it's the right rear that's unavailable. I did have a quick Google and it's the same price on a number of different sites, all of which predictably lead back to Autodoc where it's out of stock 😂
Sorry, yeah. It's the right rear that's out of stock.
There are a few different car part sites that are all part of Autodoc.