ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard-Drive Fatal Error.. What next?

330 Ci
So, since moving flat a few weeks back my pc has been prehistorically slow... I'm talking over two minutes to open internet explorer then crashes when i try to navigate away from the webpage. Its only 14 months old and has a a fairly high spec, Black series quad core processors, 8gb RAM, 1TB HD etc..

Last night, Windows (7) threw up 2 error messages within the space of 15 mins saying my HD had a fatal error and to backup all information as it could die at any second... So quickly backed everything up and its all safely stowed away on an ext HD.

The question i've got is should i get another mahoosive HD, or get a small solid state HD capable of storing/running the OS and programmes on - then store all my files on a networked HD?

What sort of size SS HD would i need to go for to be able to run my OS/programmes effectively? For some reason i've got ~20gb in my head?

OR - does anyone have an alternative solution (given the inherent costs involved with SS HD's!)?

Help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
  172 Cup
My Windows 7 installation was just over 17gig. I paid particular attention as I've got a Crucial M225 SSD for my OS and games and space is a premium.

Windows 7 + Bad Company 2 + COD4 + COD:MW2 + MOH Beta + the odd small app = 52gig. Everything else, all my main programs, are on another drive.

If you do go for an SSD don't just get the cheapest you can afford. You want one that supports TRIM and ideally one that uses an Indilinx controller.

Last edited:
  330 Ci
So If im generous and say Windows 7 will take up 20gb + any other programmes I install and go for maybe a 40GB SSD? That should be ample - I use my PC for occasional CAD/Design work and alittle bit of music production, so won't have oodles of programmes on there.

Does Windows still try to use some of the space on the HD as a buffer or am i getting confused with older versions?

Has anyone got any recommendations for 40-60gb SSD's? I'm new to all this shizzle tbh

Last edited:
SSD for the OS is the way forward. I have the same drive as griff. The intel ones are usually TRIM capable.

Go cry to your momma!
I have the m225 too, but in a macbook pro - can vouch for it, it's been thrashed for 12 months or so now and is still perfect.

Don't run the SSD near capacity, you want a decent few GB free. They don't fare well when near full..