ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have 2Mbit Virgin broadband? Read me.

SLK 350
Well you probably heard already that Virgin were apparently upgrading all 2mb customers to 10mb, and so on.

It seems they're not doing it as quickly as they first promised, but you can jump the queue it seems by signing up on the link below:

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/gofaster/

Has anybody on here already been upgraded? It seems despite Virgins promise to flatten their platform, they still have very different timescales depending on if you're TW/BY/NTL or Virgin.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I don't understand their new tiers.

There's L XL and XXL

Where is S and M?

hehe

Since they have got rid of the slower ones they have now vanished but are still using the old names...

The S used to be 2MB ? which is no longer available...

Scirocco GT 2.0
Clearly a dodgey marketing ploy so all of their broadband offerings have big c**ks

None of the small and mediumness

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I have had 2mb since the days of Telewest & would have changed ages ago if not for the fact that we don't have a telephone line. Reason for this is that we all have mobiles, so makes sense to get rid of the land line imho.

421 Cammed 172
A friend has one, I don't know how it's done but i have seen him run speed tests and a number of times it's come back at 20Mb+, even as high as 22Mb.

He's always the host on Cod4 online as there's very very rarely anyone with a faster/more reliable connection.

The way the Cod4 servers are atm though no-ones getting good connections :dapprove:

SLK 350
Well I filled in my registration on the 10th, and they upgraded me to 10Mbit yesterday, not bad...but it must be automated, they're never that efficient.

A friend has one, I don't know how it's done but i have seen him run speed tests and a number of times it's come back at 20Mb+, even as high as 22Mb.

He's always the host on Cod4 online as there's very very rarely anyone with a faster/more reliable connection.

The way the Cod4 servers are atm though no-ones getting good connections :dapprove:

What so he's paying for 2mb and getting 20 because of this modem?

I'd have thought it would be capped at the exchange side, not the modem.

clio 182 black /gold
There putting my broadband price up by £2 a month. So i rang them and they said follow that link which is posted. So in a day or so i should be on 10MB.

421 Cammed 172
What so he's paying for 2mb and getting 20 because of this modem?

I'd have thought it would be capped at the exchange side, not the modem.

Basically yes. Saying that it was wide open for it when telewest owned the service as i knew alot of PC gamers doing it back then!

SLK 350
Back in the day it was just modifying a docsis file, which in later revisions had a certificate attached to it.

Not sure the old modems still work though, good old Surfboard :)

My line is up and down like a cheap wh0re, sometimes 9Mbit, now 2 again....one more day of it and I'll be phoning Mumbai....b1tches!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Meh 10MB, welcome to 2007.

The 50Mbit move is due soon for our house.

Speaking of which, Virgin actually operate packing shaping now, so notice a slow connection? More than likey the packets are shaped to "streamline" their network, and annoy you.

SLK 350
I later found out that they throttle you to 75% your connection speed if you down a fixed amount during 'peak' hours. There's a breakdown somewhere, but it's like 750mb between 10am-3pm and 1500mb between 4pm-8pm.

Homo's!

Octy VRS
Not liking Virgin at the moment. I got rid of my TV package as I didn't really use it and they are still charging me the same amount for just the phone and broadband. In fact it seems slightly more.

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
I signed up for this last week I think and I'm still waiting for the upgrade to go through. Ex-NTL btw.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Signed up for it today. I thought it was an automated process on the 1st of May!

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Anyone who's signed up...Any news?

I thought there was a way of checking for the update?

Trophy #267
ooh was just about to say i havnt been done yet and also in derby - arses.
Lol at ppl still using cloned mac addresses on modems - tut tut

Facelift R53 Cooper S
having 10MB is great

until i found out they were CAPPING ME!! WTF!!!!!

3.5MB FTL!

the cap only lasts 5 hours but thats not the point :(

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
If you have signed up and then not had the upgrade within a week or so I believe if you phone tech support they can do it for you on the phone. Could be wrong though

172 Cup
I rang Virgin approx 6-7months ago complaining of slow broadband speeds and they said it was because my internet was transferred via my set-top-box and I needed a cable modem installed.

Paid my £10 for a cable modem it came within 2 days and spot on my internet went from approx 4mb to 10mb.

With regards to capping the internet - certain times of the day it is capped. Also if I have been downloading files they cap it for 5hours.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I didn't know about the capping ffs!. Have been with Virgin since the days of Telewest and have had there 2mb service ever since. Upgraded yesturday and I got an invite to Huxley Closed Beta through my email and thought great :). Starts to download and then it dies ran a speed test and it was capped to 2.4mb. Didn't know they would be capping our connection as we have never been capped on our 2mb before. TBH I wished I had stayed on 2mb as whats the point in paying for 10mb just for 2gb a day or whatever it is.

Can't go with anyother company as we haven't got a landline due to us all having mobile. Thought about ringing up and asking if they could revert us back, but no doubt they'll still cap us on 2mb. Turns out I can't even run Huxley Beta as it only supports Windows 7 32Bit & ours is 64Bit!.

Was a 197
mine was done within a few days, depends whether virgin have been round to do the ncessary upgrades in ur area