ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HDMI cables.

Buy the cheapest ones you can find.

That one will be fine.

If your xbox has HDMI, then yep.. you can.

SQ5
Try comet trying to sell 1m ones for £100!!!

They didn't like me telling them it was pish and I had loads in my van worth about a fiver each that were just as good!:D

Scirocco GT 2.0
Try comet trying to sell 1m ones for £100!!!

They didn't like me telling them it was pish and I had loads in my van worth about a fiver each that were just as good!:D

Yeah! A colleague of mine went to Pizza Hut earlier to pick up our order for lunch and popping into Currys/Comet (Can't remember which) to grab a HDMI cable and it was £70 for a 1.8m!

He said they are trying to trick customers into thinking there are three tiers of HDMI cables on sale instore when they are all the same really.

He works in IT with myself and obviously knew that was waaayy over priced so purchased one on ebuyer for less than a fiver, has to wait a couple of days but still.

BMW E46 330i Touring
The only time it's really worth paying out to get a decent one is when you go for quite long lengths. I bought a cheap 10m HDMI cable and it made the DVD unwatchable!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
On the gadget show they recommended buying cheap hdmi cables over the expensive ones as there was no difference in picture quality .

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah! A colleague of mine went to Pizza Hut earlier to pick up our order for lunch and popping into Currys/Comet (Can't remember which) to grab a HDMI cable and it was £70 for a 1.8m!

He said they are trying to trick customers into thinking there are three tiers of HDMI cables on sale instore when they are all the same really.

He works in IT with myself and obviously knew that was waaayy over priced so purchased one on ebuyer for less than a fiver, has to wait a couple of days but still.

Well technically there are.

HDMI 1.0 to 1.3

1.3 being the best supporting all fronts of HD signals.

Tesla MP3 2021
Well the latest version is 1.3c but the 1.3a version had the next stage of updates...

HDMI 1.3a
Released November 10, 2006
Cable and Sink modifications for Type C
Source termination recommendation
Removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.
CEC capacitance limits changed
sRGB video quantization range clarification
CEC commands for timer control brought back in an altered form, audio control commands added.
Concurrently released compliance test specification included.

Picture1-1.png

Monaro VXR
The way I look at it is... HDMI is basically the same as DVI-D. Have any of you upgraded your monitor cable? No then cheap HDMI is fine. As that is exactly the same as most peoples new LCD monitors are.

Scirocco GT 2.0
Well the latest version is 1.3c but the 1.3a version had the next stage of updates...

HDMI 1.3a
Released November 10, 2006
Cable and Sink modifications for Type C
Source termination recommendation
Removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.
CEC capacitance limits changed
sRGB video quantization range clarification
CEC commands for timer control brought back in an altered form, audio control commands added.
Concurrently released compliance test specification included.

Picture1-1.png

All 3 "Tiers" they are selling are 1.3A thats what makes it so stupid

DCi 100
Isn't it because HDMI is digital, which is a series of 1's and 0's.

So there's not difference in quality no matter what you get unlike analogue, which is a continuous signal and picks up static when transferred through wires etc?

Oil Burner
All 3 "Tiers" they are selling are 1.3A thats what makes it so stupid

It depends what you consider the 3 tiers, if you include Logik cables then they are not 1.3a, where as the grey series and black series are.

I suspect if you suggest to some of the people over on av forums that buying shielded cables makes absolutely no difference they may disagree, they dont exactly rush into their purchases on that forum. I think the important point is, for the lengths we use and for the equipment we use they will make no perceivable difference. Personally i use cheap cables, my tv is not large enough for it to make a difference, neither am i using a full hd source.

2014 Focus Titanium
Isn't it because HDMI is digital, which is a series of 1's and 0's.

So there's not difference in quality no matter what you get unlike analogue, which is a continuous signal and picks up static when transferred through wires etc?

Almost but not quite, you can still get degradation of signal, just not in the same way as analogue. Rule of thumb is anything upto about 7-10m a <£10 cable will be fine, between 10-20 you want to be spending <£20-30. I just bought a 10m HDMI off ebay for £17.99 delivered and it is spot on.

Thing is when an analogue signal degrades you see a more gradual effect on screen, like little blips all the way to a fuzzy screen. With HDMI it can be absolutely fine and then 1 metre longer in the cable can make the screen have lines all the way up the screen. Generally thought TVs are pretty forgiving and more cables between 10-20m will do the job just fine, its not like scart where the difference in cable can mean a crisper picture, with HDMI its either perfect or its got very visible defects.

BMW E46 330i Touring
My £15 ebay cable for 10m was jumping and skipping both visually and audio and made it impossible to watch.

DCi 100
Almost but not quite, you can still get degradation of signal, just not in the same way as analogue. Rule of thumb is anything upto about 7-10m a <£10 cable will be fine, between 10-20 you want to be spending <£20-30. I just bought a 10m HDMI off ebay for £17.99 delivered and it is spot on.

Thing is when an analogue signal degrades you see a more gradual effect on screen, like little blips all the way to a fuzzy screen. With HDMI it can be absolutely fine and then 1 metre longer in the cable can make the screen have lines all the way up the screen. Generally thought TVs are pretty forgiving and more cables between 10-20m will do the job just fine, its not like scart where the difference in cable can mean a crisper picture, with HDMI its either perfect or its got very visible defects.

2014 Focus Titanium
My £15 ebay cable for 10m was jumping and skipping both visually and audio and made it impossible to watch.

I went for a braided one, with guaranteed HDMI 1.3 compatibility, it was £17.99 delivered and delivers a perfect picture from my xbox across the other side of the room. You must have bought a really s**t one, but i researched quite a lot and was pretty sure this one would be fine, which it was!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270300376120