ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HDR + D40

How do I do it? I fancy having a crack at this, but what settings do change on the camera?

Ive seen people mentioned -1, 0 and +1 but im not really sure what im doing..

Cheers

VaVa
I'm not familiar with Nikons, mainly because they're for gays, but I'm sure it will have AEB (automatic exposure bracketing) which sets the camera up to take pictures at three different exposure levels ( that's the -1, 0 and +1 bit) one after the other. So you set camera on a tripod once you've decided what you wish to shoot, and take three pictures.

The use some trick software to basically combine the three images together, giving you a far greater range of exposure in the same picture.

See Jungle Jims very good guide here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=303195

Last edited:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
u can't do bracketing on the D40 (but u can on the D50 ;)).

You need to create 3/5 images in photoshop, with say -2 and +2 difference in exposure.

Then load them into photomatix and play with the tone mappings

LY 182 FF CUPPED
your not familiar with NIKONS cos they are for GAYS?????

enlighten me.........Seeing as I have used one PROFESSIONALY for the last 6 year.
And I bow down to any man to argue the case that any 1 of the current CANON DSLR's is any better than The D3 we use for work.....
Bring it on

VaVa

enlighten me.........Seeing as I have used one PROFESSIONALY for the last 6 year.
And I bow down to any man to argue the case that any 1 of the current CANON DSLR's is any better than The D3 we use for work.....
Bring it on

LOL

That was easier than I thought tbh.

Clart, you should know better ;)

And No AEB? What is the D40? Some kind of expensive compact? ;)

Oh and Dan, have read here fella, explains what the -1, 0, +1 values are all about. You can have a different combination of aperture and shutter speed yet still get the same exposure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

LY 182 FF CUPPED

Bring it on

LOL

That was easier than I thought tbh.

Clart, you should know better ;)
The thing is with HDR you can not change ISo or Aperture.
You can only change your S/Speed.....

And No AEB? What is the D40? Some kind of expensive compact? ;)

Oh and Dan, have read here fella, explains what the -1, 0, +1 values are all about. You can have a different combination of aperture and shutter speed yet still get the same exposure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
remember you can't adjust F no or ISO when attempting HDR

Canons are for people who need an image to make themselves look good. Nikon are for true to themselves photographers... gay, straight or bi ;)

(I also ditched the d40 lens kit... although superior to the 400d's)

Revels Mum & Sister
PMSL at this thread Laingo REEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL um in!!!

But cletus did pwn Laingo though

Lets all rub helmets

Revels Mum & Sister
On a more serious note butter. You NEED a tripod to do this properly. Although I did a couple of HDR handheld on my Flickr. They came out OK ish but you can see where it was handheld in places.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't say you need a tripod, the HDR photos I did were all done in photoshop from one original image - creating 2 additional images by adjusting the exposure

Revels Mum & Sister
I mean if he is shooting the exposure stops for EACH Photo not using one and adjusting exposure. I shot 3 different images handheld and merged them with Photomatix. The HDR ones of montacute house on my Flickr. Using bracketing. But this isnt an option for him

VaVa
I wouldn't say you need a tripod, the HDR photos I did were all done in photoshop from one original image - creating 2 additional images by adjusting the exposure

Most of the HDR stuff I've done has been via this method tbh. Usually to rescue a dull pic tbh lol

D

dick

to propperly do it you need to have 3 photos from the scene tho,

Last edited by a moderator:
Not had a chance to try it yet.

I was intending to go for 3 pics at diff exposures.

Whats the best settings to do this on and change?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Mate just have a loot at the how to HDR thread at the top of the page....answers all your questions.

Set your camera on MANUAL.
Determine exposure....and adjust your S/Speed +2 and -2 stops of your first exposure.
You can't adjust ISO or F No as this will alter depth of field and noise.
You will need a tripod and for better results you will need to use a dedicated HDR programme.....along the lines of Photomatix.
Yes you can do it in Photoshop...but results are less satisfying.
But I would have a look at the How to section

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
He finally figured out that it wasn't possible on a disposable camera from boots!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
E-510 does exposure bracketing, however you can do HDR on ANY photo by creating 3 exposures and generating the HDR image through something like Photomatix.

182 & Porsche 986
HDR ive tried is just adjusting the exposure from the raw file in photoshop and tone mapping them in photomatix and they look pretty good for a first try