ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HDTV - Someone please educate me?!

Mondeo STTDCI
Refresh rates? Last heard these were in hertz (HZ). Whats all this 16ms about?!

Resolution - ok i get that I think.

Er..... :dapprove:

Mondeo STTDCI
I wont be getting plasma. Probably LCD. And nothing too big. Have had people telling me that if you get something too big it takes your eyes too long to dart around the screen to kill people!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive a 42" plasma and cant wait to get a cheap 360 box.Ive heard the heartz from normal tv's does'nt work too well with the x box

ian

Boxster S
Hz is the refresh rate, my mate has bought a Sony 32" Bravia for the front room. Has a d-sub connector to hook up the tv like a pc monitor, its currently running 1280x960 at 70Hz.

If you want to take full advantage of TV in HD quality you'll need Sky and they're going to be charging £5 per channel ON TOP of whatever subscription you already pay!!!

It still looks bloody good on standard DVB through its built in freeview - buy one, you know you wanna!!!

Boxster S
Oh yeah, normal TVs run at 50Hz which is why sometimes you'll notice they flicker. Thats why they brought out 100Hz TVs which were much better. Although the optimum is supposed to be between 70 and 85Hz.

(Anything over 60Hz any the human eye can't see it refreshing)

also lcd/plasma arnt interlaced they are progressive unlike regular tv signals
we use 50hz tv signals in the uk and 60 in the usa
hdmi is fully backwards comptible with dvi so you can connect digitally rather than from vga that is analogue

Monaro VXR
And things which say 16ms. its the time in milliseconds that it takes a pixel to go from completely black to white. and vice versa.

How fast it responds to colour changes the lower the number the less likely you are to notice the picture ghosting. seeing shadows etc as things move.

Monaro VXR
human eye is actually capable of seing over 200fps etc and so over what 100hz is its just its not massively noticable. And all to do witht he way in which we percieve it and the kind of light bluring etc.

Monaro VXR
Human eyes all differ for a start, But if you were to flash a bit of light onto a wall in a room that is pitch black for 1/200th of a secon chances are you will see that light.

You say 15hz. yet when you watch a tv program etc it doesnt seem fluid unless its around 20fps. computer games dont seem fully fluid until there around 40 - 60fps.

Its all dependant on the circumstances in which you see things.

172 Cup
hip_spasm said:
Refresh rates? Last heard these were in hertz (HZ). Whats all this 16ms about?!

Resolution - ok i get that I think.

Er..... :dapprove:

REFRESH rates = Hz

RESPONSE time (Grey to Grey preferable) = ms

Monaro VXR
hz rating you want typically at least 72hz anything above that will stop you from suffering during lon gterm viewing.

Racin Blue 182
hip_spasm said:
And DVI and HDMI connections?? WHAT?!

Please!

The HDMI and DVI connections are the next connection level up from component video. They carry a fully digital signal from the digital receiver (digi box or DVD etc) to the tv to display.

The current connections such as scart, SVHS, composite and component are all analogue signals which means a digital signal has to be converted into analogue to go down the cable and then be converted back into digital to be displayed - this causes picture quality loss.

The digital cables don't have to convert the signal therefore suffer from less picture loss.

Also, to be able to display full HDTV, you'll obviously need a tv which has the input and CRT tv's won't support this - you'll need a tv with either a DVi or HDMi input.

actually there are some crt's out there that can do full hdtv maybe not 1080p but certainly 720p and 1080i

dvi can also be analogue by the way but it hardly ever is

Racin Blue 182
McBunny said:
actually there are some crt's out there that can do full hdtv maybe not 1080p but certainly 720p and 1080i

dvi can also be analogue by the way but it hardly ever is

Fair shout - i've just had a look and found a Sony 34" CRT which is HDTV ready - you learn something new every day!:eek:

The reference to DVi and HDMi was really only as a basic guide for the original poster - there are always exceptions in every case!!

I have my xbox 360 connected to my non hdtv panasonic LCD via the HDTV/component lead that comes with the xbox and have the xbox set at 480, you can't see anything on 720 or 1080. On the 480 setting it is certainly better than via normal av.

the xbox has a cable with a switch that says AV and HDTV, you can then select 480,720 or 1080 in the xbox settings.

Thats about as nerdy as i get, I'll leave the rest up to you.