ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Units From USA

Are there any problems at all with using ICE from abroad? Is it possible to mix and match head units from USA with UK amps and speakers?

----====Monkey45====----

Tappd'd RS

there may be a problem with the radio tuner and you will probably need some sort of convertor. I know that this is the case with japanese head units.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

u can mix and match the amps at will, ur radio will onyl have limited stations avalible but everyithng else works fine. i have a sony m850mp for sale if ur interested.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes I seem to remember something about the tuning circuts being different for american radio.

Clio 172 Ph2

Alpine US HUs have an option to set for Area 1 - US or Area 2 - Everywhere else for their radio tuning.

The only problem Ive found with mine is that it doesnt support RDS. I guess they dont have it over there. Its all that XM satellite radio rubbish.

Remapped derv Golf

You need to get a band expander thingy. Most jap car import places sell them. Try the MX5 parts.co.uk web site.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

At the end of the day there should be no need to import a us unit.

The savings arent worth it.

Why buy something that doesnt work? makes no sense.

american go up in odd numbers!

ie u can get 97.9

but u cant get the last digit to be even!

ie 98.8

Quote: Originally posted by RB_172 on 06 April 2004

Alpine US HUs have an option to set for Area 1 - US or Area 2 - Everywhere else for their radio tuning.

The only problem Ive found with mine is that it doesnt support RDS. I guess they dont have it over there. Its all that XM satellite radio rubbish.
You forgetting the steering remote interface not working!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

actually pete the steering wheel interface will work on selected HU#s. its no different.

Clio 172 Ph2

No, Pete is correct - for Alpine HUs anyway.

The US model doesnt have the interface connection at all.

But then if it doesnt have it, you cant really say it doesnt work ! Clearly its not supposed to!

true but then a iso connectior is £2 from most ice places and then just use bullets for the connectors,

I have a US Pioneer 6500 DVD didnt know it was US when I was buying it, but I still saved a reasonable amount of cash and I can still get Radio1 which is all I listen to on the Radio, may one day get a DAB box which will remove this problem!