ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headunit or Aux adapter

One of you may be able to advise on the best course of action. I would like an aux input in my car, I have a 172 with a Tuner list stereo (dash display, no CD changer). I seem to have a couple of options. (the speakers being used are Infinity component speakers fitted by a previous owner, I have no idea of specs)

1. Get an aux adapter, one of those ones which plugs into the standard unit and gives out the female red / white (L/R) audio connector. These seem to be just under £30 (!!!). Cheaper adapters don't seem compatible with my model.

The positives of this is that the unit remains standard and retains stalk controls.

2. Get a CD player. I've seen a Pioneer MP3/CD player that I like, which has 4x50w output, an aux input and 3 RCA pre outs if I'd need to use them in future.

Would this offer better sound quality than the stock system? I prefer the look of the one I've seen over the boring looking standard one. But if sound quality will be the same and stalk controls lost (unless I add £28 to the bill), then I may not bother.

Have any of you gone down one of these routes and can offer any advice? I cannot go on with my utterly b****cks FM transmitter which sounds like I'm listening to tunes over LW radio.

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
Ive just bought an adapter on e-bay £8.98 with postage... bought a new cd player for the aux but lost the use of the stalk controls so putting my old one back on :) no idea what its like litrally bought it now :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Aftermarket hu will sound better than stock but I'd buy a decent alpine one if you're after sound quality. Standard Renault hu's are awful.

Get an adaptor from mt audio on here to retain your stalks :approve:

I have a Renault Tunepoint for sale on here which will give you usb, ipod and 3.5mm jack for your standard stereo.

As has been said, if you want to improve sound quality you need to look at aftermarket

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Do aftermarket HUs improve the sound even on stock speakers?

Saying that the base rattles the trim enough as it is...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Do aftermarket HUs improve the sound even on stock speakers?

Saying that the base rattles the trim enough as it is...

Yes. Very very much so. Even across a brand (Alpine) the sound differs from HU to HU. I had one in my car when I bought it, it was rubbish.. chucked my top of the line ~8 year old unit in and it sounded so much better straight away :)

All about the amplifiers, innit ;) Renault HU has a 15 or 20w output, and costs them probably £20. Top of the range aftermarket units are 45-60W and cost you £2-300+.

Go figure ;)

Best thing is a decent HU with HPF/LPF and a sub in the boot. The stock speakers are very very good when they're not attempting <150Hz.

Cheers for the advice, I'm in contact with MT Audio at the moment about a headunit, I'm not sure if I want to retain stalk controls yet ($$$).

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I have a standard head unit aux lead that plugs into the port that the cd changer would, its yours for £9 posted.

I have a standard head unit aux lead that plugs into the port that the cd changer would, its yours for £9 posted.

Cheers, I have seen these £8/£9 adapters before, I just wasn't sure if they were 100% compatible, I'd only seen proper confirmation on a Connects2 product, the other ones were for post 2005 models of Clio or ones that were very old, a different adapter is needed on certain Clio's pre 2005 I think.

Anyway I've decided to go for a Pioneer headunit now for the possibility of better sound quality and a nicer looking unit to look at. This is the one that I'm hoping to get by the way:
http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/DEH-4200SD/index.html

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
I've bought an AUX adapter today..... Also found 2 imput holes in may car today hidden in a corner under the dash....... A white one and a red one.... I already have an adapter as standard!!! Stupid!

I've bought an AUX adapter today..... Also found 2 imput holes in may car today hidden in a corner under the dash....... A white one and a red one.... I already have an adapter as standard!!! Stupid!
Haha d'oh! Oh well :p, onto the for sale section it is for you! Unless you bought it from a business seller on fleabay where they'd do 14 day returns (EU distance selling regulations)

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
Bought it off MT audio on here...... Ill just give it to a mate ha! Saves the hastle, only £8-9 :)

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
No its ok my mistake for being a dumb ass, but I still need the lead that fits the white and red plugs and I believe that's in the pack,

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
Come to think of it I have some spare wones from my sourround sound in my bedroom, that's the same right?, ill put my old cd player in today now see how it goes and no doubt I'll change my mind again and put my cd player back in ha

Listerine & Poledo
pretty muich yeah.

if it's got red & white co-ax at one end and a 3.5 plug on the other, it'll be reet