ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heating and Overheating

Renault Clio 1.2
Hi all,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I lack in any information required for the resolution to my problem.

Problem:
For the past week or so I have noticed that the heater in my Clio is simply not working as it should, usually the heating would get too hot for comfort and I would have to turn it down. The heating only seems to come through when running the engine at high revs whilst driving, i.e. 3rd gear at 40mph (one of my not so fantastic ideas to produce heat) but as soon as i switch to say 5th like i should be doing, the air turns cold almost instantaneously. Today, I had done maybe a 2 mile journey at the most and the temprature warning light came on for the first time ever since i have known / been driving the car. After about 500 yards of driving the light went off again. The temp light happened whilst it was pouring with rain so it's not as if it was blazing hot outside.

Going Forward:
From reading other similar posts I have noted that it could be any number of problems starting from simple radiator issues through to water pumps or the thermostat. I am going to have a look under the hood tomorrow but I am no expert and would like some pointers as to what to test and look for. I may also take it to a garage tomorrow if i get the time. The car actually runs very well, as it's only done 65K and has been well looked after in the past.

The car in question is a 1996 Clio 1.2 4-door. It's probably the most simple model as it has no electrics or power steering and only has a simple dash with speed + fuel and lights.

Many thanks for your patience,
Kind regards,
James