ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy steering Clio 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup
Morning all

last few days the steering feels heavier than normal on the cup

I am going to do normal checks today tyres , power steering fluid ect. Noticed when checking the reservoir you can’t really actually see what level is showing in the chamber as not transparent 🤷‍♀️

there are no unwanted noises coming from the car or handling issues no whining when turning ect

any ideas ?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
In my experience, if the power steering pump is on it's way out, it will let you know about it! They squeal! Unlikely to be that. As you've said though, worth checking the reservoir. Also, worth checking the power steering pressure switch as they're known for going. Can be a spot for leaking.

Let us know what you find cos that's all I got 😂

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for your reply mate

just took out for a drive handles perfect no noises so squeals or squeaks it may be physcological like most of my snags

the reservoir I can’t see through to see how much fluid is in is there a way of doing a check ?My knowledge is basic

thanks

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
No drama. My knowledge is basic too but I've had a good few fiddles with these cars by now. As far as I remember, you have to unscrew the lid and there will be a dipstick like thing on the end of the cap. That will indicate the level of the fluid. One thing to note: DO NOT get the liquid on your paintwork. Or really anywhere if possible. Power steering fluid is corrosive for paintwork!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
One other thing that's just popped into my head is tyre pressure levels. My car always feels so different when the tyres are at the incorrect pressure. It feels unwilling to move direction almost. When the pressure is spot on, its mega darty. I know that's a wierd one but worth a shot!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
You're right it's a bit awkward as the min/max indication is on the outside/front side but the bottle isn't clear! Can you see the level in the filter when you unscrew the top to estimate how much is in there?

Tyre pressure might be a good shout as well, especially now temps are dropping!

Has the pas fluid ever been replaced?

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks lads

just undone the lid and there’s like a inner section that pulls out there is plenty of clean fluid in there

I am not sure on the fluid change will have a look through my paperwork although I have spent a fortune on it not sure if it’s been done in my ownership

what are the best pressure to run on the tyres there are so many figures floating round standard turinis with new pilot tyres

I will checkthem later before work

thanks

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
When I used to run that set up, I think I used to ruin 34 psi in the front and 32 in the back to give it a little more stick in the corner. That being said, "best pressure" is the most subjective thing ever!!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
If the fluid looks clean enough it should be fine, mine was thick and pitch black!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Could be worth getting the suspension geometry checked if everything else seems to be fine.
This is another good point. On my old 182, I had 4 new tyres and then geo done and good lord it was night and day. I remember wondering what the hell they had done to make it so good!

The new 182 is yet to be treated to such an experience...

Clio 172 Cup
It’s not long had brand new cup shocks grams springs and top mounts was fully aligned after all was done was kinda hoping to rule that one out

You'll know if the steering pressure sensor is working if the revs rise slightly when you turn the steering.

It'll probably be tyre pressures. Mine feels similar when they're low.

My revs slightly drop and ive had heavy steering recently. Is the sensor the only culprit or the pump could be as well?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
As I said above, the pump will let you know if it's on it's way out or low on fluid. They tend to scream in my experience. I would be ordering a new power switch before anything else. The switch I ordered was £28. Which is relatively small compared to a new pump I'd imagine!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I dont want to deal with this, anyone wanna buy the car? lol

Haha. I'll buy it for £5 and a packet of crisps. Believe me, the switch is the easiest thing you'll replace. Its located down by your dip stick / oil filter area. Unplug it from its sensor and then just screw the new one on. Done!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I'm asking for a friend which is not a member here.
He has the 172 ph2 for 3 years, at first the car was ok, but soon after the steering became heavier and now it feels like it lacks power steering altogether.
He changed the power steering pump, the steering rack was refurbished 2 weeks ago, so the fluid is new but still no joy. The guys that did the rack refurb said that the only thing left that could cause this are the hoses.
These I guess :
Any other thoughts?
Thx!