ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy v light wheels...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
So the lighter wheels are marginally better in a straight line?

I'd imagine on track the wheels and maybe design would help more. Lighter ones. But again not a huge amount at a guess

Didn't read it all so apologies if it's been converted

So the lighter wheels are marginally better in a straight line?

I'd imagine on track the wheels and maybe design would help more. Lighter ones. But again not a huge amount at a guess

Didn't read it all so apologies if it's been converted
Seems that way, as you say on track would be a different story you'd think. Lighter wheels would aid better braking, better cornering and better acceleration. Not huge amounts but over a race of 10-20 laps would be a few seconds difference.

A few seconds? You're having a laugh! In a race, the winners and losers are separated by tenths if not hundredths and hes quoting 5 hundredths per 20-80 acceleration, which is maybe three times on an average circuit? 15 hundredths a lap is huge and he hasnt considered any saving under braking.

The biggest difference however comes in the unsprung weight saving because it makes it easier for the suspension to keep the tyre in contact with the road. Ironically for most folk on here with 'trackday' cars, this is a bigger benefit on the road than the track (which tends to be fairly smooth).

The ultimate conclusion is that like a lot of fashions, whilst it's important for actual racing, its a tiny gain compared to driver training, decent tyres etc and therefore pointless on a trackday car which is why I use whatever is cheap and fits.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I had lighter wheels on my civic and steering felt much sharper and as a result handling felt more nimble. No idea if its faster but feels better.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
On public roads I don't think you'd ever notice a difference to be fair (I'm sure people will argue that fact mind) however once you start looking at things from a motorsport perspective then things start to differ (I am new to this mind so my understanding may not be totally accurate)

With lighter wheels your obviously loosing unsprung weight as previously mentioned, which should then aid more with braking and turning in rather than flat out speed, coupled with this there should also be less stress on suspension/mechanical components, obviously I'm not talking about F1/Touring Car/GT standards but every little will help.

I could be well wide of the mark but that's my understanding, feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong

Ads

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
On public roads I don't think you'd ever notice a difference to be fair (I'm sure people will argue that fact mind) however once you start looking at things from a motorsport perspective then things start to differ (I am new to this mind so my understanding may not be totally accurate)

With lighter wheels your obviously loosing unsprung weight as previously mentioned, which should then aid more with braking and turning in rather than flat out speed, coupled with this there should also be less stress on suspension/mechanical components, obviously I'm not talking about F1/Touring Car/GT standards but every little will help.

I could be well wide of the mark but that's my understanding, feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong

Ads
Yeah true, my turn in was absolutely 100% improved. Much sharper. Just felt more 'point and shoot'

Listerine & Poledo
Lightweight wheels are better than wrought-iron ones?
Well I'll be damned, did not see that one coming
/slowhandclap

Lightweight wheels are better than wrought-iron ones?
Well I'll be damned, did not see that one coming
/slowhandclap
sarcasm-life-time-humor-intellect-offensive-fun-demotivational-poster-1239867476.jpg