ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - can't get steering wheel controls to work

Clio 182
Hi, I bought a connects2 kit from eBay to get my steering wheel controls to work with my Sony MeX bt3900u head unit.

The instructions say to connect in this order

1) car
2) connects 2 harness
3) aftermarket harness
4) head unit

I have done this and also connected the little box which has a phono connection at the end. I'm not sure what purpose this has as I would not use a phono input.

The steering controls don't work.

I don't think it's possible to put the leads in a different order.

Any ideas welcome please?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439487992.470756.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 182
I had another crack at this and thought I had found the problem finding a blue ended plug tucked inside. However trying all fits it does not work.

I think this was for the CD player.

I still can't tell what the box and phono connection are for?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439726040.804323.jpg

Thinking back to when I fitted mine.. The phono connector isn't to be used to plug stuff in, that's what goes into the stereo. There should be a socket for it at the back of the HU. The blue plug is for CD changer IIRC.

Clio 182
The only phono connection on the back of the head unit is for a mic in. I don't want to use that as the unit has a built in mic.

I know the stalk does work as I tested it with the oem stereo

182 Cup
Can I ask what model number of the adapter you have is and did it come with the extra little patch lead, I'm after this setup to get my stalk to work with my alpine stereo but there are so many leads out there that I'm confusing myself and going round in circles! Cheers.

Clio 182
as above, whats the make and model of new hu

Hi - the head unit is a Sony MeX bt3900u.

I've sort of given up on this problem now. :(

The lead I bought was on eBay called CTSRN003 from Connects2

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Bottom right on back of hu is a blue socket - plug your patch lead into this :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...h0nVQFe&biw=320&bih=460#imgrc=-4vKrPAEeti6-M:

I was pleased to see your reply and tried it but no luck.

Should the yellow or the blue connector go in? One is for the CD player and one the stalk controls.

I tried both but neither work. I know the controls do work as I bought an old OEM head unit and they work ok.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441372651.145033.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441372686.340795.jpg

I also made sure the connector was well seated (the photo makes it look like it is not)

:(

Clio 182
The stalk controls are the yellow block, (in simple terms) in your pic you can see a longer plastic lug this should be facing to the outside of the black plastic block,

To check:

1. Check that all the pins line up and enter into the yellow plug

2. Is this the connects2 'ctsonylead' you are using? Ive seen loads of people try using an autoleads patch lead with connects2 and this doesnt work

3. Try unplugging everything - remove facia from stereo then plug back in and ignition on (dont plug stalk into radio at this point) then re-attach facia and check that the stereo has been reset, then turn off ignition and wait for 3 beeps, then plug in stalk cable (into blue 3.5mm socket on stereo), then ignition back on,

4. If this doesnt work - try ordering replacement patchlead - if that fails try replacement stalk control - connects2 customer service are great at exchanging from my experience (used to work at halfords :p)

Apologies for lack of punctuation/ sentences - on taptalk on iphone so just type away ;)

Clio 182
(Also) you need to plug the yellow into the opposite side to where the blue is - as the side its plugged into is unpopulated