ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - car troubles....!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Right first off i had my engine competeley rebuilt a couple of months back, cams, etc. Ran in fine, no problems, runs perfect 95% of the time.

One time when I went for a drive I noticed that everytime I dipped the clutch at a junction or had to stop the car stalled straight away. Instead of the revs dropping to say 1200rpm then slowly dropping to 900 they just dropped to 900 then stalled.

After I turned it off and then started it again it was fine no problems. Same thing happened a few weeks later when I was at Hill Power. Same again after it was turned off and I set off home it was fine and has been since (4 weeks ago).

The other day when I was goin to work I noticed a clicking noise like a bike pedaling backwards that increased with my revs. Had window down to listen and after about 5 mins just stopped compeltely. Never heard it since!

Then to today. Well it was washed yday and started up fine. Didnt go anywhere just moved on the drive. Went to start this afternoon to take my sister somewhere and it wouldnt start. Turned but wouldnt fire. Checked fuel, plugs (which were a bit wet) changed ECU (just to check) and nothing. Occasionally it would almost start.

Anyway got mi dad to tow me down hill and it bumped and started. Sounded a bit rough for a few mins but I went for a 30 min drive to warm it up etc. Was driving fine bu I could hear the clicking noise again! Then after about 10 mins the revs started to drop too low and stalling was happening again. Every time. Anyway drove home slowly let the revs down and it was ticking over fine. Started up ok again too!

Something aint right? any ideas whats going off? Nick Hill mentioned my cams may need advancing slightly.

Cheers for any help (Sorry about the essay lol)

Clio 1.6 16V

The clicking noise could be an HT lead or something in the HT circuit arcing over to earth as you say it varies with rpm. Would also explain the stalling and failure to start (probably flooded cylinders) ..... just a thought. May be something completely different? Neil

Clio 1.6 16V

If you are lucky (or unlucky!) and hear the ticking noise again when its dark, turn out your lights and lift the bonnet and have a look, you may just see the problem where its arcing........... asuming this is the problem of course! Check out also the ignition coil, distriutor cap and rotor arm. Coils normally break down at higher rpm and cracks in the distributor cap can cause carbon tracks and arcing especially if damp. Rotor arm can mechanically foul the distributor cap contacts if the shaft is worn or cap not seated properly.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Hi craig

I think i may be of some help here.

A while ago i had the same problem. I called the RAC out and they sorted it. Basically the car would not fire up. The starter motor would function properly but just wouldnt start up.

The part at fault here was the "Fly Sensor". Basically the engine can get quite dirty as its so compact and dirt can cover the fly sensor consequently could not "read" the spark plugs producing the spark.

Once the fly sensor was wiped clean the car fired up straight away, no problem.

Now im certainly no mechanic but it could well be this. As far as im aware the fly sensor is located beneath the air filter, not sure exactly though.

Hope thats some help.

aaron

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Have you checked your idle control valve !! If its sticking that could cause your stalling at junctions !! I had the same problem !! Just replaced the idle control valve !!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Thanks for the replies. Started ok this mornign but sounded a bit rough. Also stalled every time the revs dropped. When I got to work I reved it and let my foot off the accellerator and it would stall. But then I lowered the revs down slowly to idle and let it idle for a min or so, then reved it and it was dropping to 1200 then slowly dropping to 900 as normal.

Bizzare! It drives fine...!

And I think im gonna get some new leads asap. Any recommendations?

Cheers again!

honda accord 2.4 type s

Idle control valve on the bottom of the engine? or perhaps the petionmeter (spelling!?) thats what happened to mine, and the problems sound fairly similar

Elise/VX220/R26

Check your plugs for sooting m8, I had a similar problem on my Bravo and its one that keep reoccuring. One of the plugs keeps sotting up and causes problems similar to the ones you describe .