ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Lower-rear Braking lights not working... Central one working.

MKII 1.2
Hey,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place...

I have a 1.2 16v and my lower braking lights aren't working. The central one above the window works fine though. Its my first car, but ive got a good range of mechanical knowledge. Ive only just noticed the problem and they both seem to have gone at the same time.

Bulbs are intact.
Have checked all the fuses i can find for rear lights... couldnt find a brake light fuse. (Location?)
Ive also replaced the Brake Light switch above the pedal with 3 different ones to make sure.
I'm about to go and check the earths of both lights ...
Ive now been digging through threads and whatnot for 2 hours and cant seem to find anything.

Really cant be arsed with a ticket from the Police as ive had one before.

any help is massively appreciated!

Thank you!

MKII 1.2
update...

checked both earths and no joy.
located the brake light fuse (F2 'STOP' fuse)... didnt work.

put both bulbs in a different slot to see if they worked and they did.

Im running out of ideas now, ive tried everything ive read of.

anyone got any other ideas?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Have they only just stopped working?

If not, and they've never worked, it could be something as daft as not having twin filament bulbs?

MKII 1.2
Yeah!
theyve been working for months... changed the bulbs in April, and only just noticed it today!

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well the high level light comes from the exact same supply as the passenger rear so its possibly a connection issue. Have you used a multi meter on the plug that meets up with each lighting unit?

Those plugs do have a tendency to be a bit dodgy. Also the rear sockets tend to be a bit dodgy also